Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Monday, March 13, 2006

Post-Game

In the spirit of making sure we have at least one new post every day, here are some post-game thoughts on last night's HBO shows and other miscellaneous matters.

1. Sopranos - Perhaps another Junkette will blog in more detail about last night's premiere, but I'll just say I thought it was awesome. I'm really liking the Carmela/Tony dynamic, and I like some of the new characters that they have seamlessly inserted into the story. This is one of the few shows worth waiting 13 months for a new season.

2. Big Love - After reading such amazing reviews, I was totally psyched for the premiere last night and of course found myself disappointed. I thought it was a little slow, and I just didn't get engaged in any of the characters. I'm not writing it off yet, but I hope next week's show grabs me or else it will be the last time I save Grey's Anatomy for Monday night viewing.

3. Grey's Anatomy - See above. It's on my Tivo to-do list for tonight.

4. Is it really possible that Britney and KFed are pregnant again? That's scary.

5. I heard that Charlize Theron and Stuart Townsend are over. I'm not the least big surprised. It follows the my-wife/fiance/girlfriend-is -more-successful-than-me-and-our-relationship-therefore-fails pattern that seems to plague Hollywood. (Chad and Hillary are the most recent example of this sad trend. But the list goes on and on.)

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have to disagree and say that I enjoyed "Big Love" and think it has a lot of potential. Perhaps my expectations were not as high.

I thought the "Sopranos" was amazing! I can hardly wait until next Sunday.

3/13/2006 5:40 PM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

The breakup rumors are all over the place, although I hope they are false. I like the fact that she is more successful and he is still with her, and I like the fact that they have been together so long and don't seem to have any intention to marry.

3/15/2006 8:59 AM  
Blogger Isaac, your bartender said...

1. On the Charlize/Townsend issue, the Sports Guy (ask Red Fraggle) as usual summed it up best: "Well, Charlize Theron broke up with Stuart Townsend, and you know what that means ... Stuart, welcome to the Fisher Stevens Club! Here, Chad Lowe and Jon Tenney will show you to your locker."

2. Loved the Sopranos. What other show works on so many levels--Tony's comment to Junior's neighbor that he is "killing moles" or the parasite destroying Agent Harris's stomach vs. something much worse eating up Tony's by the end of the episode. And if and when I figure out the meaning of the William Burroughs lines from the opening, I'll let y'all know.

3. I was intrigued by Big Love. It certainly is not the "ain't polygamy a wild orgy that we all should try" that some on the right are up in arms about (although next week certainly seems to have some orgiastic elements. The tension between the wives creates a fascinating dy- (or tri-)namic and things are going to get nuts with Harry Dean Stanton (who is always nuts). There is also a great backstory waiting to come out about how Hendrickson ended up with three wives and his background. (Btw, his mom is Mrs. Ross--you know, her husband had an affair with John Cheever, she forgot to serve the marble rye, and her daughter Susan died from licking toxic envelopes that were her wedding invites). Finally, I thought the oldest daughter was great and the scene at the restaurant with her co-workers was perhaps the episode's best. Having not lived in Utah (although I can attest that SLC can feel like Stepford), I can't speak from experience but I have to believe the tensions b/w the mormons and non-mormons (or at least lapsed mormons) has to be real. Can't wait until next Sunday.

Now if only they would bring Love Back back . . . .

3/15/2006 11:44 AM  
Blogger Isaac, your bartender said...

That should read Love Boat.

3/15/2006 11:53 AM  
Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

The daughter from Big Love was Lily Kane from VM (Veronica Mars, for the uninitiated). And her friend from work was Mac the computer geek from VM.

Notably, Duncan Kane had a guest spot on Grey's Anatomy in the same time slot on Sunday night.

3/15/2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0608
dolce and gabbana
hermes birkin
ray ban sunglasses
cheap jordans
nfl jersey wholesale
chicago blackhawks jerseys
adidas trainers
cheap mlb jerseys
fitflops outlet
canada goose outlet

6/07/2018 10:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

www0712

pandora outlet
swarovski outlet
ralph lauren polo shirts
cheap football shirts
polo ralph lauren
montblanc pens
oakley sunglasses
burberry outlet
air huarache
longchamp outlet






7/12/2018 5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home