Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Whaaaa???!!!!!!

I am in a bit of a state of shock after watching Project Runway. When the winner was announced I just stared at the television, open-mouthed.

I thought that there was a clear worst collection in the finale--Chloe's. I didn't like how she used the same exact pattern material twice in a row, and both items were dresses. Actually, she did this with two different patterns at two different times in her collection. She also used the same bright Pepto Bismol pink color twice (the first time on an absolutely hideous concotion of billowing sleeves and balloon skirt). Someone complimented her seams (I think Michael Kors with Heidi agreeing), and they are very pretty. But maybe Santino was right--maybe she really is more of a pattern-maker. I believe Nina said at one point that the collection was very one-note, and she was right. All she did were dresses, except for one brown suit (which I liked best of everything, along with Diana's dress). It was monotonous, and I thought that the overly '80s feel was just too dated (no matter how "in" the '80s are right now).

I agreed that Daniel's collection didn't have a unifying theme, but there were a lot of very cute outfits that I would wear. I loved the white jacket, and there were a bunch of dresses that were very cute. It all looked very wearable. I would have declared him the winner, particularly because he showed a lot of versatility in the styles as well as the types of clothes he made. (I was shocked that Rebecca almost fell, though!)

I really liked Santino's collection as well. I thought he had some pretty outfits, and unlike Chloe I appreciated how he put a big gap in between the two dresses he had done in the same, pink-green-cream multicolor chiffon (or similarly airy fabric). The judges were so hypocritical to harp on him challenge after challenge for being too out there, using too many flounces and embellishments, and then criticize his collection for being too mature and safe. I thought he did the best job of sticking to a theme (and Chloe's "theme" of "my dream collection" doesn't seem like a theme at all), and I really loved his 13th item.

In the end, I thought Chloe was by far the worst, and when forced to choose between Daniel and Santino, I would have chosen Daniel (and I wasn't as huge a Daniel fan as most throughout this competition). I was really shocked that they gave it to Chloe, as was my boyfriend. I gasped, and then we both sat in silence for a minute. I still cannot come to a justification about her win.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura Ingalls Wilder said...

I was shocked that Chloe won. Wasn't expecting it at all. The only reason I can think she won is that they wanted a woman to win this year since Jay won last year. I'm always convinced that the producers think like that.

Her seams were nice and the navy dress Grace wore was beautiful, yes. But I would never wear any of those clothes. I thought the materials were heavy and ugly.

I thought Daniel's collection was safe, but also beautiful. His taste is impeccable, and I'd wear any of those pieces in a heartbeat.

Santino's collection was very good too. I liked most of it, and I think he's right when he says that he makes beautiful clothes. He does.

I too thought it was a close call between Santino and Daniel, and was surprised the judges went with Chloe. Sigh.

3/09/2006 9:20 AM  
Blogger Blogger said...

My theory about the heavily producer-influenced Project Runway is that they were going to make Chloe win no matter what so that 1) people wouldn't say that only gay men win on the show, and 2) she could be the first asian to win a reality show. Unless there is some obscure reality show that an asian has won and then you can just throw reason #2 out the window.

3/09/2006 5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home