Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

I cannot believe that adults do this

Ashlee Simpson has stated that Pete Wentz has given her a "promise ring," which "just means that he hasn't asked my father yet."

Pete Wentz is 27 years old. I believe he likes to think of himself as a serious musician. But he gave his girlfriend a promise ring? I honestly didn't realize this was done by mature adults. It's a promise to make a promise to get married. Could anything be stupider? Isn't a promise to make a promise the same thing as...a promise? I'm blown away here.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Corina said...

Yeah, I've never understood promise rings. You're engaged, you're not engaged. What's the big deal? If it's not an engagement, why the hell not call it what it is . . . a gift. That happens to be a ring. With diamonds.

2/29/2008 9:17 AM  
Blogger MrMotivation said...

She needs to give this dude a ticket to dumpsville.

2/29/2008 1:52 PM  
Blogger Sally-Anne said...

Even weirder is the alternate definition I've heard for a "promise ring," which is that by wearing it the wearer (and the giver?) has promised to remain a virgin until marriage. Clearly that was not the meaning behind this particular one...

3/02/2008 12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home