Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Sunday, February 24, 2008

80th Annual Academy Awards: A Running Diary

I'm not sure how this is going to work, but I figured it was worth a try.

Jon Stewart. The people at Stuff White People Like claim that all white women think Jon Stewart is the perfect man, and...yeah. And his asteroid hitting NY joke was pretty funny.

Jennifer Garner is so cute. Recently, my friend Carol Seaver told me that she saw an Oprah interview with Jennifer Garner and now she kind of can't stand Garner. I should probably watch the clip.

Clooney brought his girlfriend. Don't often see that.

We just watched Ratatouie today and really enjoyed it. (No, I don't have kids. Just two adults watching.) So it was nice to see it win something.

Katherine Heigl. She irritates me to no end. I think that the thing I dislike most that she has done was when she said she would "throw down for that kid," about her friend T.R. Knight. Who says stuff like that? And then her engagement/wedding/post-wedding coverage was so overdone (thanks Us). Last week in People there were shots of her moving into her new home, but they were all clearly posed. Yech.

The Rock is really not funny. How did he get a presenting job at the Oscars?

Cate Blanchett really carries her pregnancy well.

Jennifer Hudson looks good. And looks like she thinks she looks good. But enough with the cat's eye makeup she constantly sports. It makes her look harsh and scary.

Keri Russell is super cute too.

Tilda Swinton joins Jennifer Hudson, Angelina Jolie and Tatum O'Neill in the long line of poorly-dressed Best Supporting Actress winners.

Seeing Kristen Chenowyth makes me happy in no small part because I am reminded that Pushing Daisies is actually coming back for another season. Yay!

Does Renee Zellweger ever wear dresses that aren't strapless?

The pregnant Nicole Kidman is introduced and all I can wonder is whether this is supposed to be Kidman without Botox? Because it looks to me like her face as basically as frozen as always. Maybe it takes a few months to wear off? I would think Botox is not safe for pregnancy, right?

Hiilary Swank is sporting some Brandon Teena-looking hair. She is presenting the dead people montage, and I think it is safe to bet that Heath Ledger will get the big applause.... And I was right, although Ingmar Bergman was a close contender for the win.

I just Googled Diablo Cody to determine that her given first name is not, in fact, Diablo. Good news.

No Country for Old Men was the big winner, with awards for Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay, and I have to admit that I just don't get it. I know both Isaac and Bailey have blogged about how they enjoyed the movie, but I really didn't think it was all that Oscar-worthy. I must be missing something, but I just don't see it. (I do see why Javier Bardem won the Supporting Actor award for his work in the film.)

And now the awards are over, having gone about 20 minutes too long. My final assessment is that it was fine, if a bit dull.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger I am a Miranda said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2/25/2008 2:47 PM  
Blogger I am a Miranda said...

You have a friend named Carol Seaver?

2/25/2008 3:27 PM  
Blogger Isaac, your bartender said...

How could you leave Cher out of the list of Worst Dressed Supporting Actress winners? I mean she would have won the Oscar for the Worst Dressed of the lot.

2/25/2008 4:50 PM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

Isaac, Cher did not win Best Supporting Actress. She only won the lead actress award, for her work on Moonstruck.

Violetta, you can learn all about Carol Seaver at www.celebweeklyfantasyleague.blogspot.com. (Or you can go directly to her blogger page at http://www.blogger.com/profile/15715074830230301519.) I think you'll see a pattern in the names of the people who were posting to that blog. :)

2/25/2008 6:19 PM  
Blogger Isaac, your bartender said...

Silly, silly me. Yes, that awful Cher outfit was for Best Actress.

2/26/2008 1:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0720
jordan shoes
under armour outlet
ray ban sunglasses
polo ralph lauren
uggs outlet
polo outlet
michael kors outlet
kate spade outlet
ralph lauren pas cher
nike air force 1

7/19/2018 10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home