Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Friday, October 13, 2006

Some TV Thoughts

1. Hands down, The Office is now the funniest show on television. Michael Scott's telling Dwight to "Hug it out, bitch" was only topped by his kissing Oscar in the season premiere. The show just has numerous laugh out loud moments. Moreover, it keeps the plot moving in such interesting ways. Having Jim move to Stamford was genius--it keeps the show fresh, incorporates some new characters (without having a baby or adding Cousin Oliver), and adds a new dynamic to the Jim/Pam will they or won't they. The continuation of Michael and Jan's bizarre relationship is also a nice subplot. And Angela's Lady Macbeth moment last week was killer. So what I'm really saying is if you don't watch this show, you should. It may take a little time for a new viewer, but you must give it a chance. You will not regret it.

2. Which brings me to what was probably an even funnier show, Arrested Development. Yes, I know you've heard this all before, but I still miss my Bluths. Over the past two months, Mrs. Bartender and I watched the entire series (even though I had already seen most of the episodes). There is no word to describe this show except genius. I just keep my fingers crossed that Mitchell Hurwitz et al. will make the movie.

3. We've been watching both SNL shows on NBC. Studio 60 has been good but not great. It's hard to really care about the Matt/Harriet relationship as we don't know these characters yet but it is definitely the focal point of the show. The skits seem no funnier than the average SNL skit, i.e., some chuckles but certainly not cutting edge. And yet, as with all Aaron Sorkin shows, the dialogue is 5 notches above most other shows. I just have to keep reminding myself I'm not watching The West Wing.

As for 30 Rock, I was pleasantly amused. First, Alec Baldwin is just a great comedic (and non-comedic) actor. He may ham it up at times, but he is excellent and every scene he is in, he steals. Second, Tracy Morgan was surprisingly good although I am not sure if his madman routine will work in the long haul. We will see how things progress, but I will definitely tune in next week (or at least record the show).

4. No long Lost post this week, but I am still bitter about the ending of this week's episode. First, the Yankees lay a complete egg against the Tigers and then I am subjected to an even more bitter baseball memory. Damn you all! Mrs. Bartender keeps asking me if the writers know where the show is going, and I assure her that, at least to some extent, they do. Am I crazy to believe this? I'm just excited Hurley and Locke are back next week.

5. Finally, RIP Corey Lidle.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

Speaking as a loyal Alias viewer, yes, you are crazy to think that the writers know where they're going.

10/13/2006 4:49 PM  
Blogger greebs said...

I don't quite know how they did it, but The Office is even funnier than the Ricky Gervais version. And man, I NEVER thought I'd say that.

10/13/2006 6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home