Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Monday, May 15, 2006

The End of an Era

So President Bartlett has left the White House in the hands of President Santos. I think the country will survive. Last night, however, I thought the West Wing went out on a bit of a sloppy note. Leaving aside the plot (which was basically turn out the lights and pack the furniture), I expect this show to get the little things right, but on at least 3 occasions they blew it.

1. The discussion early in the show regarding who thought to inaugurate the President in January with Bartlett blaming Jefferson and Adams. Leaving aside that Jefferson wasn't involved with writing the constitution, until 1937 the President was sworn in on March 4. Blame FDR and those that wanted to shorten the time between the election and the inaugural, but the Framers are completely innocent. Very bad oversight.

2. The Chief Justice was referred to as the "Chief Justice of the Supreme Court." This is wrong. His/her title is "Chief Justice of the United States."

3. The oath. The Presidential oath is traditionally done as "I [state your name] do solemnly swear . . . ." I know the Constitution does not include the name part, but as far as I can remember, the POTUS has always inserted it.

So farewell to the West Wing. For a while, a great show, then a mediocre one, and finally a very good one. May Aaron Sorkin's next show be close to as good--and yes, I know that means Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (or whatever its title is).

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

I noticed that thing about Inauguration Day. That was uncharacteristically sloppy.

I thought the whole thing was oddly flat. I sort of expected to cry my eyes out. But I didn't.

5/15/2006 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home