Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Friday, May 26, 2006

50 Greatest "Conservative" Rock Songs

Ok, this is not a political blog, but if there are any regular readers, they may have noticed that we junkettes tend to lean a little left. In an effort to show that my pop culture addiction knows know political boundaries, I thought I'd share what I found to be a rather hilarious list put together by the National Review, of the 50 Greatest Conservative Rock Songs. In case you don't feel like clicking on the link, Number 1 is the Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" with this explanation

The conservative movement is full of disillusioned revolutionaries; this could be their theme song, an oath that swears off naïve idealism once and for all. “There’s nothing in the streets / Looks any different to me / And the slogans are replaced, by-the-bye. . . . Meet the new boss / Same as the old boss.” The instantly recognizable synthesizer intro, Pete Townshend’s ringing guitar, Keith Moon’s pounding drums, and Roger Daltrey’s wailing vocals make this one of the most explosive rock anthems ever recorded — the best number by a big band, and a classic for conservatives.

The list also includes "Can't Drive 55" by Sammy Hagar which the Review calls "a rocker’s objection to the nanny state." Seriously, it's funny. Although, I honestly had no idea there were so many anti-abortion songs out there.

Oh, and in case the people who know me IRL are wondering what the hell I was doing reading the National Review, I was just following a link from the Washington Post!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Red Fraggle said...

My favorite:

"Why Don't You Get a Job" by the Offspring: "capture a motive force behind welfare reform."

5/26/2006 7:12 PM  
Blogger Isaac, your bartender said...

Townshend Responds here. http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/diary/display.cfm?id=285&zone=diary

5/29/2006 8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home