Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Sentences. Like. This. Are. Stupid.

Can someone explain to me the popularity of putting a period after every word in a sentence for emphasis? Isaac's post below reminded me of this pet peeve, because I could see many titling it "Greatest. Website. Ever."

This convention isn't just seen on the internet. I have seen it in published magazines (I can't remember whether I saw it in Entertainment Weekly or US Weekly, but I think it was one of those). So what's the appeal? I guess when people first started using it they thought it seemed funny. But now it is just totally overdone.

Let's hope it goes away quickly. (And yes, I resisted the cheesy urge to separate each word in that sentence with periods.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Sally-Anne said...

I have to admit I'm guilty of this on occasion, but I do reserve it for really deserving occasions. E.g., "I passed the bar without studying. Oh. My. God."

5/25/2006 5:45 PM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

Yeah, I think I have used it once or maybe twice. But always in an IM, always when something was really shocking, and not in the recent past at all.

5/25/2006 7:20 PM  
Blogger Laura Ingalls Wilder said...

I have to agree with Holt on this one. I enjoy the occassional Oh. My. God.

5/26/2006 8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home