Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Sentences. Like. This. Are. Stupid.

Can someone explain to me the popularity of putting a period after every word in a sentence for emphasis? Isaac's post below reminded me of this pet peeve, because I could see many titling it "Greatest. Website. Ever."

This convention isn't just seen on the internet. I have seen it in published magazines (I can't remember whether I saw it in Entertainment Weekly or US Weekly, but I think it was one of those). So what's the appeal? I guess when people first started using it they thought it seemed funny. But now it is just totally overdone.

Let's hope it goes away quickly. (And yes, I resisted the cheesy urge to separate each word in that sentence with periods.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Sally-Anne said...

I have to admit I'm guilty of this on occasion, but I do reserve it for really deserving occasions. E.g., "I passed the bar without studying. Oh. My. God."

5/25/2006 5:45 PM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

Yeah, I think I have used it once or maybe twice. But always in an IM, always when something was really shocking, and not in the recent past at all.

5/25/2006 7:20 PM  
Blogger Laura Holt said...

I don't see anything wrong with it in casual writing. My personal writing style mimics my speaking voice, so where I would use pauses when speaking to emphazize individual words, I see nothing wrong with using periods for the same effect when writing. It's the same reason you use italics or bold to emphasize the same word in writing that you'd place the emphasis on while speaking and it's the flip side of hyphenating a bunch of words strung together to indicate excitement and speed talking. I assume that bugs you too?

If you do it with too many words in a row (like the title of the post) I agree that it sounds stupid, but only because no one would naturally choose to emphasize that many words in that particular way when speaking. (Or if they did you wouldn't want to talk to them, because that many pauses? Annoying). It can be overused, but I see nothing wrong with the occasional "Oh. My. God." or "W. A. E."

5/26/2006 7:30 AM  
Blogger Laura Ingalls Wilder said...

I have to agree with Holt on this one. I enjoy the occassional Oh. My. God.

5/26/2006 8:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home