Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Is Polish film pop culture?

Probably not. But for our New York readers, Lincoln Center is offering a three-week retrospective of the work of Polish director Krzysztof Kieslowski, who is probably best known for his excellent Three Colors Trilogy. It also features the multi-part Decalogue, which is said to be loosely based on the Ten Commandments (sort of like Exile in Guyville is supposed to based on Exile on Main Street, I think) and much earlier work that I don't think is widely available.

I realize how pretentious this sounds, but Kieslowski is one of my favorite directors. It's a shame that he died so young (at age 54 in 1996), because I'm sure he would have made some great movies about the changes in Poland--and Europe in general--in the past 10 years.

3 Comments:

Blogger Red Fraggle said...

I first heard of Kieslowski when I was in high school. The final movie in the Three Colors Trilogy (Red) was released that year (1994) and I was going to rent all three and watch them. Of course, it was something I didn't get around to--I guess I had other things to do during my senior year. It has been twelve years since, and every once in awhile I tell myself I am going to watch them and then...I don't.

So right now, I am putting them on my Netflix queue! Let's hope for the best. :)

4/05/2006 11:26 PM  
Blogger Isaac, your bartender said...

My college roommate would occassionaly wear an outfit consisting of blue jeans, a blue sweater, and blue sneakers. I named the look Three Colors (Blue).

4/06/2006 6:25 PM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

I'm sure you were REALLY popular in college.

4/07/2006 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home