Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Sports Musings

While I realize this is slightly off topic, I warned you that when a man was invited to become a junkette, sports talk would follow. Here are some brief thoughts (hopefully slightly more coherent than Larry King's ramblings in USA Today):
  • I am pretty sure that this is my favorite week of the year. No, not the warmer weather and cherry blossoms (which are nice), but you have THREE of the best sporting events: (1) the NCAA championship, (2) opening day of baseball season, and (3) the Masters. Now if my child is born before the week ends, there will be no doubt about this week maintaining its #1 status for the remainder of my days.
  • The women's championship game last night (of which, I admit, I only watched the final 5 or so minutes plus OT) was infinitely better than any of the men's games on Saturday or Monday. Very impressed with the caliber of play. So congrats to the Gurtles. (That's Girl Turtles, and I stole it from Kornheiser who stole it from someone else at the Post.) That said, I have no desire to watch the WNBA. Ever. (To be fair, I barely watch the NBA any more and think that the WNBA Champs should get to play the Knicks. Whichever team loses is stuck with Isaiah as GM for the next year.)
  • One of the great achievements in the world of sports has historically been making the cover of Sports Illustrated (SI) (with the attendant problem of being jinxed for this achievement). A few years ago, the marketing geniuses at SI decided to go with regional covers at certain times of the year. The latest (and most egregious) example was after the first weekend of the NCAA tourney, six (count 'em, six) different covers were produced. I'm sorry--I understand that print media needs to survive and I'm sure this improves circulation--but there is something special (I would imagine) in being on the cover and it should be THE cover. Make a fricking decision about which underdog should be on the cover. Heck, if you want to put two or four teams on one cover, it can be (and has been) done. Eventually, I believe, SI will produce 300 million different versions so everyone can be on the cover of his or her issue.
  • Now that Mickelson has played like Tiger at the Bell South, I'm confident he will go back to playing like Phil at Augusta and Tiger will be Tiger. Did I mention it's Masters week!

Okay, you are now free to go back to pop culture.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura Ingalls Wilder said...

I like the sports post. And go Lady Terps! (or whatever you called them). And I don't like watching the NBA either.

4/05/2006 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home