Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Musings

1. What is up with Bill Simmons, aka The Sports Guy? His columns on espn.com are must read, but as of late, there are very few of them. I was sure we would get one yesterday after the Celtics Game 7 win and Paul Pierce's tour de force, but nothing. Is he getting too big to post as much as he used to? Come back, Bill!

Update: Moments after I posted this, Bill's column on the Celts appeared. However, it is his column for ESPN: The Magazine (I think I'm going to buy Isaac, Jr., ESPN: The Lunchbox) and not something written for the website.

2. Why does the NHL not (somewhat) follow the NBA's lead and adjust its schedule based upon how soon teams win. The Pens won the East on Sunday and the Red Wings last night. The Stanley Cup Finals, however, does not begin until Saturday. I understand wanting to give teams a little time to rest (and wish the NBA did not give some only 1 day off after a victory), but the Finals should start on Thursday. With such an exciting matchup--one of the best young players in the game vs. one of the marquee franchises, why let the excitement (such as it is) dissipate. Let's drop the puck!

3. Congrats to Jon Lester on his no-hitter last night. As much as I hate the Red Sox, you have to be excited for this kid who was diagnosed with lymphoma less than a year and a half ago. Now if the Sox lose all the rest of their games this year, I would be happy.

4. Mrs. Bartender and I went to see Iron-Man on Friday night, and it is a hoot. The plot, to the extent there is one, is pretty simple, but the acting, most notably Robert Downey, is fantastic and the movie is just a lot of fun. The big criticism: the constant and loud music made it hard at times to hear the dialogue (although I don't think I missed anything). Maybe I've just gotten old. Be aware that there is a final (short) scene after the credits with a special guest star. Don't expect too much of the scene, but it is a nice final touch to a very good summer action movie.

5. And continuing the movie theme, this Friday we are off to see the latest incarnation of Indiana Jones. I saw the third film on the day of my senior prom; boy time flies because that feels like yesterday. On Sunday night, the Mrs. and I watched Raiders to get in the mood, and talk about a great summer movie; it is, perhaps, the best. One unexpected surprise--Alfred Molina as Indy's local guide in the opening sequence. It is Molina's film debut, but I had no idea he was in this classic.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Corina said...

I too thought Iron Man was a great summer diversion and didn't have any problem hearing the dialogue over the music. I'm not that much younger than you are. Maybe it was an issue with the theater acoustics?

Robert Downey Jr. was SO much fun to watch. And did you catch how slimmed down Jon Favreau (the movie's director with a cameo as bodyguard) looked?

5/20/2008 2:40 PM  
Blogger Isaac, your bartender said...

It's funny you mentioned Favreau. I actually posted last year about his new, svelte look.

And you may be right that the problem was the theater. I hope this doesn't occur with Indy which I'm seeing at the same theater.

5/20/2008 4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home