Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Monday, February 04, 2008

The Moment You've Been Waiting For

No, not the end of the writers' strike (although that will hopefully happen in the next day or so), but my endorsement for the next President of the United States. I've actually spent a good amount of time deciding whom to support, and all along I've been torn between Clinton and Obama.

As for Hillary, I long ago worked for her husband and have a residual fondness and respect for the Clintons and much of what he did while in the White House. I have also been extremely impressed with Hillary's ability in the Senate to get a lot done, work with former adversaries while not acting, as a former First Lady, like she is bigger than the Senate, and manage to win over a number of New York Republicans. While years ago, the idea of her as the nominee scared me to death, I have certainly warmed to it over the past few years.

That said, I recognize that she is the one person that can excite the GOP to elect a Republican this fall. Moreover, the political atmosphere that will continue with her in the White House ensures vicious partisanship for the foreseeable future. While much of the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of Clinton haters, the Clintons have an ability to do and say things that, at a minimum, add fuel to the fire. The behavior of the Clintons leading up to South Carolina has merely reinforced this opinion and made my ultimate decision even easier (although I was already heading in that direction).

As you might guess, I too have joined the Obama bandwagon. As has been repeated ad nauseum, on policy little distinguishes the two candidates. (Unlike Krugman, I am not going crazy on health care mandates.) But Obama's ability to transcend politics and inspire is critical in a President, particularly one who aspires to greatness. His brilliance is obvious (as, to be fair, is hers), and while his candidacy presents risks, the potential is enormous. And so with hope for our nation's future, I will proudly and excitedly cast my vote for Obama on February 12. And if his surge is as real as it is looking, and he manages to pick off a few states that Clinton thought were in her column (including the big enchilada, California), he may well be the nominee. If they are even after tomorrow, he is in good shape. Of course, the lesson of the primaries up until now has been, we know nothing.

I'm Isaac Your Bartender, and I approve of this message.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

Woo Obama!

2/04/2008 6:43 PM  
Blogger Laura Ingalls Wilder said...

This Junkette endorses Obama too! Obama 08!

2/05/2008 11:33 AM  
Blogger MrMotivation said...

Your hordes of loyal readers also endorse Obama. Interesting thing in DNC is the on the ground leaders are going overwhelmingly in the Obama direction. The current leadership is a trailing indicator. Party Mavens are out there supporting Obama. What will that mean in the coming contests?

2/06/2008 11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home