Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Random Thoughts on the Village Voice Top 15 Albums of 2007

1 LCD Soundsystem, Sound of Silver

I just looked at my iPod and realized that I actually own this, although I have no memory of ever listening to it or even buying it. Note to self: listen to this album; it's the best album of the year!

I own and really like their previous album, but the songs don't actually have words, which I think is required of a top album. There's one song, called "Yeah," that just goes "Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah," etc. I do like "Daft Punk is Playing at My House" and "Your City's a Sucker" from the old album.

2 Radiohead, In Rainbows

This might be heresy, but do I really need another Radiohead album, even if I can legally download it for free? Answer: no.

3 M.I.A., Kala

Own this; love it. It's hip hop that appeals to white people, and I am white after all.

4 Amy Winehouse, Back To Black

Should I buy this?

5 Arcade Fire, Neon Bible

It would have been almost impossible for them to top Funeral, which was such a great album, and they did not, in fact, top it.

6 Kanye West, Graduation

Loved The College Dropout; was bored by Late Registration; have no interest in this album.

7 Spoon, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga

Love it.

8 Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, Raising Sand

Seriously? I saw that this got good reviews when it came out, but it seems like such a baby boomer nostalgia project. Anyone heard it?

9 Bruce Springsteen, Magic

No interest.

10 The National, Boxer

Love it. I know that some people (reader M., for example) really hate Matthew Berninger's voice, but "Slow Show" is one my favorite songs of the year.

11 Feist, The Reminder

Love it. But she is bordering on overexposure, what with all the iPod commercials.

12 Wilco, Sky Blue Sky

Wilco is one of those bands that I feel like I should like a lot more than I do.

13 Panda Bear, Person Pitch

Never heard of this band or this album. I do like panda bears though.

14 The White Stripes, Icky Thump

Own it. Like it. I have a huge crush on Jack White.

15 Miranda Lambert, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

Own it. Like it.

Of the rest of the top 40, I highly recommend Jens Lenkman at #23 and Okkervil River at #31; and I'm considering buying the Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings (#20) and Iron & Wine (#38).

So, what were your favorite albums of 2007?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some other favorites in the top 25: The Shins, Wincing the Night Away and Band of Horses, Cease to Begin, both of which I thought were excellent. Other 2007 favorites not on the list: Sea Wolf, Leaves in the River and Matt Pond PA, Several Arrows Later. For something new check out Vampire Weekend, review in the Post today.

1/29/2008 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I meant Matt Pond PA, Last Light (most recent album).

1/29/2008 9:34 AM  
Blogger t.s. said...

Of those, the only two I have are the Plant/Kraus (surprisingly good) and the Feist (which I used to find compelling before I had heard it so much). Clearly, I have some listening to do.

2/04/2008 4:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home