Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Thank You, Football Gods

We saw this weekend two instances in which the football gods rewarded/punished those who deserved it.

First, in a situation that has already gotten much attention, the Giants have been amply rewarded for pushing the Patriots to the limit in the final game of the regular season. The game meant nothing to the Giants, but because the Pats were going for 16-0, the Giants played their starters and lost in a great game. Since then, the Giants have gone to Tampa and won and yesterday, in an extremely sweet victory, beat the Cowboys in Dallas. The result--TO sobbing and much joy in the Bartender household. While I am quite concerned about the Giants going to Lambeau on Sunday, just making the NFC Title Game this year is quite an achievement. Playing with house money.

Second, I am thrilled to see the Colts receive their comeuppance for what I saw as a disgusting display in the final game of the regular season. The Colts were trailing the Titans 16-10 in the final minutes of the game. It meant nothing to the Colts, but the Titans had to win to make the playoffs. The Colts pulled their starters early in the game, which is perfectly acceptable, but with Tennessee in position late and taking a knee, the Colts had a time out left but did not use it; they simply let the clock run out. If they took the time out, they would have had a final chance (about 30 seconds) to try to win the game. Likely, no. But they didn't even try. I was disgusted at the time (and I really didn't care if Tennessee or Cleveland got the final AFC playoff spot), and I like to think that their actions were justly rewarded yesterday with a stunning defeat against San Diego.

So my predictions (big grain of salt): Pats big over the Bolts (yes, I've heard all about how improved the Chargers are since week 2, but they are beat up and can't keep up with New England's offense; the Jags tried and failed.) Packers in a close one over the G-men. And I will make the amazingly bold call of the Pats winning Super Bowl XLII. (The Roman numeral thing is really getting clunky at this point.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Red Fraggle said...

I'm a little confused by your characterization of the "disgusting play." Are you arguing that the Colts should have traded certain victory to give Tennessee another chance to score just because the game mattered to the Titans and not to the Colts? That doesn't seem right to me.

1/14/2008 3:32 PM  
Blogger Isaac, your bartender said...

I think you misread the post. The Titans were winning; they had the ball and were running time off the clock. The Colts let the game end because they did not call time out. If they had called a time out, they would have gotten the ball back with a chance to try to win. Is that clear?

1/14/2008 5:38 PM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

Oh yeah, sorry! I'm sick! Poor Cleveland. The people of Ohio have not had much luck of late.

1/14/2008 5:41 PM  
Blogger Leila said...

I'm a Giants fan who happens to be dating a Packers fan. Needless to say that although I knew there was a possibility those teams could meet in the playoffs, once the seeding came out I thought it was more than unlikely. What a great end of the game on Sunday! Now bf and I are heading up to the frozen tundra to watch the championship game. Seems like a sort of bad idea for a Southern California girl, but once in a lifetime game, right?

I enjoyed the column. And, sadly, agree with your prediction. But I'm hoping for another road win! Go Giants!

1/16/2008 7:17 PM  
Blogger Isaac, your bartender said...

I give you a lot of points for going to Lambeau. Have a great time, and go Blue.

1/19/2008 4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home