Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Friday, July 13, 2007

Scott Baio is 45 . . . And Single

I don't have cable at the moment. In fact, when I tried to use my old rabbit ears I couldn't even tune in basic network television over the airwaves. I say this not to make you feel sorry for me (though feel free) but to explain why I not only downloaded the premier of Scott Baio's new reality show, (free on iTunes) but did so with no small measure of excitement. And guys, it may be the television withdrawal talking, but I liked it. The premise is that Scott Baio is starting to think about marrying his current girlfriend, and wants to find out why he hasn't gotten married up to now, and figure out whether he's really up to it. So he hires a lifecoach. I tuned in expecting a train wreck, and it . . . sort of was and sort of wasn't. There are definitely a lot of pre-packaged moments (the initial set-up of Baio interviewing wacky and clearly unsuitable (not to say unhinged) life coaches was ridiculous), but Baio is charming and self-deprecating and his confrontations with former girlfriends are cringe-inducing, (as they get some of their own back for his philandering and generally obnoxious ways) sad, and kind of funny. It premiers Sunday on VH1 and I'd love to hear what other people think. Am I out of my mind or is this really not a bad show as celebreality goes?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I READ THAT YOU AND YOUR GIRLFRIEND ARE PREGNANT!

7/14/2007 2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I THINK IT'S RUDE AND MISLEADING YOUR VIEWERS AND TO PEOPLE WHO ARE INTERESTED IN MEETING YOU. DIDN'T YOU HAVE A SITE WHERE YOU ASKED WOMEN WHY THEY WOULD BE PERFECT FOR YOU AND TO E-MAIL YOU. I GUESS YOU WILL NEVER CHANGE.

7/14/2007 2:20 PM  
Blogger Laura Holt said...

Well that answers that. Apparently not everyone finds Baio as charming as I did.

7/14/2007 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home