Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

American Idol, eight women

As always, the women were better than the men. Although I think this was the least-exciting week for the women, overall.

Jordin Sparks. "Heartbreaker." I thought she sounded like she had trouble with this song. She seemed to have problems with the notes and not enough power for some of them. Not everyone can be Pat Benetar. Pat makes it all seem so easy.

Sabrina Sloan. "Don't Let Go." She has a good voice, but the song seemed too screechy for her. I didn't love it.

Antonella Barba. "Put Your Records On." Paula makes sense again! Well, not when she talked about when Antonella's "magic comes," but when she said that she can't hit her low notes. She is just totally out of her league, and no thigh high boots are going to change that. She sounded better than in weeks past, but that's not saying much. Are people really voting for her out of sympathy regarding her online photos?

Haley Scarnato. "If My Heart Had Wings." She has the same problem every week, which is just that she lacks power. Gobo just said he doesn't even know who she is, and that's the other problem with her. The best thing about this performance? That Paula made fun of someone (Randy) for being inarticulate.

Stephanie Edwards. "Sweet Thing." I neither know nor like this song, but Steph sounded good.

LaKisha Jones. "I Have Nothing." I thought she did a great job with a Whitney song--they are hard to pull off. What is nice about her is that although she is definitely a belter, she also has a really pretty soft voice.

Gina Glocksen. "Call Me When You're Sober." This is definitely the best she's been in the competition. Her style is certainly best suited for harder (by that I mean rockier, not more difficult) songs.

Melinda Doolittle. "I'm a Woman." She looks really good this week! The dress is super-flattering. Oh, and she sang really, really well too! She is just very, very good. And I like that she's kind of dorky too!

The only just result would be Antonella and Haley going home tomorrow.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura Ingalls Wilder said...

I think Melinda is in such a different league. Love her voice and personality. I like Stephanie and LaKisha too, but the rest are not evey comparable.

I hope Haley and Antonella go home tonight.

As for the boys, I hope Sanjaya and either Jared/Brandon/Phil/Sundance leave.

3/08/2007 12:34 PM  
Blogger A. J. Simon said...

Was Melinda the person who has her "Gayles"? That made her seem to me a little prematurely diva-ish and an Oprahphile, two things I'm really not looking for in an Idol (and for all of Simon's protestations about it being a "singing com...petition", he's really looking for the most Idol-ready person who meets a certainl singing threshold). I think LaKisha will wear better with the public than Melinda, and her voice is comparable.

3/08/2007 3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home