Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Huh?

Lamely attempting to tie it into the fact that recent celebrity babies Suri Cruise and Shiloh Nouvel Jolie-Pitt are both girls, the Post reports today on a study by an "evolutionary psychologist" who claims that attractive parents are more likely to have girls than unattractive parents.

I will refrain from expounding on what complete bullshit I suspect evolutionary psychology to be, but I don't get how this is supposed to work. I mean, I get that people with genes that confer an evolutionary advantage are more likely to survive to pass those genes along, thus increasing their appearance in the gene pool. But, by definition, that doesn't work for sex selection -- every man has one X chromosome and one Y chromosome. So, what gives?

It would explain, however, why in some parts of the world the women are a lot more attractive than the men. I'm looking at you Russia.

1 Comments:

Blogger Isaac, your bartender said...

I am offended by this theory. Deeply, deeply offended. Plus, as Bailey points out, it's just stupid.

8/02/2006 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home