Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Thursday, July 06, 2006

Where's Mia?

I miss the judge Mia on So You Think You Can Dance. Mary's just too Paula Abdul-like and LOUD! Anyone know when/if Mia will come back?

As for last night's dancing, I thought that Heidi and Ryan were, again, fantastic. Unlike their pop routine, this hip-hop performance was tight without being brittle. I think maybe the transition from Cuban Rhumba last week, to hip-hop this week was a good one for them. While the dances and techniques were obviously totally different, both dances required a solidity and sexiness that Heidi obviously has had to work on and she's really getting so much better.

I thought Dmitry and Ashlee's contemporary performance to Fall-Out Boy was very entertaining, and I was really surprised when the judges' commentary focused negatively on Ashlee instead of Dmitry. I thought Ashlee pulled off the character of the doll far more effectively and consistently than Dmitry managed the character of the psycho magician. Dmitry's performance was completely forgettable. But once again, the judges' commentary on Dmitry focused on his chest instead of his dancing. Are they afraid to criticize him?

Benji and Donyelle were also entertaining, and the editors had a lot of fun highlighting Donyelle's really embarassing confusion between Vietnam and Vienna. Oh girl. That was not a shining moment for you.

I don't want to ramble on too long since I know most people don't watch this show, but they should!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. I'm done with Dmitry. Yes, he's hot, but his solo dance last week reminded me of a mediocre Chippendales performance. On the other hand, I kind of like Mary. She's not Paula Abdul-like because she isn't afraid to criticize the dancers. She's just more forgiving (as all the judges are) if the dancers are performing in a style that is not within her area of expertise.

7/06/2006 11:06 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

I love this show, and I'm just glad I'm not the only one!

I thought Jaymz and Jessica were the worst; I hope both of them go.

I do like that Mary is not afraid to criticize (unlike Paula) but she gives some good constructive advice when she does. I appreciate that.

7/06/2006 9:12 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

My husband laughed at me on Thursday when I did the arms-over-head V-is-for-victory stance after Jaymz got the boot. Hee!

They really were the worst. But now it's going to get much tougher eliminating contestants because we're getting down to the genuinely talented and/or charismatic people.

My prediction for next week's bootees: Ryan (of Heidi&Ryan), and the "poppin'" chick who is Dmitry's current partner. Which will leave Heidi and Dmitry as partners, whom I think will totally click. FINALLY.

7/08/2006 7:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home