Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

We're All Doooooomed!

At least, that's what I felt like when I walked out of the global warming documentary An Inconvenient Truth. Oh, they tried to end it on a high note with Al Gore showing a slide that showed how we could reverse the trend if we just did stuff that we know we should do. And for a moment it worked.

This was my train of thought as I walked out of the movie: "I should drive to Home Depot and buy some low energy light bulbs! Wait, driving my CAR to Home Depot just to buy light bulbs would be really stupid and counterproductive. I should never drive my car again. But I love my car. Damn, this is how everybody feels. But since I probably drive, at most, 10 miles/week, that's not going to fix anything. Boy, I'm really depressed. I should go to the library and pick up a nice engaging mystery to take my mind off it. But I have overdue books, and I don't want them to yell at me. Ok, here's a handy Barnes & Noble, I'll just slip in and buy another book that I'm sure took a ton of energy to produce and will just add to all the crap I've accumulated over the years so that when I eventually move I'll have to rent an enormous gas guzzling U-Haul and WE'RE ALL DOOMED!"

But it is a great movie, and you should all see it, and cut down on your energy use and driving because otherwise, we're DOOOMED!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

I haven't seen this movie yet, but I plan to. I am not an environmentalist by any stretch of the imagination, but for some reason I have been thinking a lot lately about how to have a smaller environmental footprint.

It's really not obvious how to do that. On the one hand, I take some comfort from the fact that I walk to work and to do a lot of errands. But then I wonder how much that means that I just outsource my driving to other people -- grocery stores, restaurants, UPS (for things I buy online), etc. It would be nice if there were some kind of label -- like nutrition labels -- that tell you how much energy was used making a product and getting it to you. (Of course, I realize that's impossible.)

Apparently, a lot of people buy organic thinking that it is better for the environment, but when you factor in the transportation costs, it is not that much better than regular food. The key is to buy food that is locally grown. To that end, I looked into buying into a CSA, which is basically a way of buying shares in the crop of a local farm, so you know you are getting locally grown produce, but it was too late to do so for this year.

Finally, I read somewhere that people waste a lot of electricity by keeping chargers plugged in when they're not charging anything. I do this.

7/05/2006 12:54 PM  
Blogger jeje said...

links of london
bape hoodie
nmd
calvin klein outlet
yeezys
michael kors outlet
nike huarache
adidas tubular
kobe 11
yeezy boost

11/20/2017 8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home