Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Kelly or Birkin?

The Washington Post has an interesting article about the differences between the type of people who carry a Kelly bag and the type of people who carry a Birkin bag (both purses made by Hermes, for the uninitiated).

Which bag I would buy if I had $10,000 to spend on a purse is a question I have thought of before (yes, really, I have considered it). On the one hand, I like the structure of the Kelly (the Kelly is on the left, the Birkin on the right). The Kelly has a rigid look, which I find very appealing in a purse. However, I like the top of the Birkin better--with the Kelly the top seems a little too small, almost like it is being swallowed by the rest of the bag. Then again, I do prefer the strap on the Kelly--smaller and more subtle. The strap on the Birkin looks like it might really be two of Mr. Tickle's arms.




Taking all of that into account, I think I would go with the Birkin, just because the proportions are more pleasing to my eye. Although I would really have to make sure that the strap didn't bother me too much. And as for color? Most probably red. After all, red is obviously this Fraggle's favorite color. Plus, red is almost a neutral and can go with most clothing, but it also stands out. And if I am going to drop ten grand on a purse, I want to make sure that purse is noticed.

The two real problems with both purses (in addition to the price) are the size (I just don't like large bags) and the leather (I'm really trying to cut down on buying leather products--I feel a bit hypocritical not eating animals but still wearing them). But I think I might be able to make an exception for one of these purses. Just in case anyone is wondering what to get me for my birthday next month.

7 Comments:

Blogger Laura Ingalls Wilder said...

I'd totally pick the Birkin.

7/19/2006 10:00 AM  
Blogger Laura Holt said...

I loved the Washington Post article, and it really made me want to be a Kelly girl but I'm definitely much more of a Birkin craver.

As for the leather issue, no matter how much I love animals, there's no way I could ever give up fine leather goods, which Hermes epitomizes. My mother passed on many of her loves to me, and one of them was an appreciation of beautiful leather. Those of you who know me in real life know that the most completely ridiculous, over-the-top purchase I've ever made was a congratulatory present to myself bought at the Hermes store in Chicago - one of the most satisfying retail experiences of my life. Sadly, even in my moments of covetous insanity, I could never justify buying an Hermes bag.

7/19/2006 10:33 AM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

So the more I am looking at the two pictures, I'm starting to lean toward Kelly. I wish I could take the flap of the Birkin and put it on the Kelly, then all would be perfect. But I'm definitely changing my mind and thinking Kelly might be the way to go.

Maybe I just need both. In canvas.

7/19/2006 10:38 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

tiffany jewelry, louboutin shoes, kate spade outlet online, polo ralph lauren, nike air max, burberry outlet online, oakley vault, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co jewelry, louis vuitton outlet online, louis vuitton outlet, nike free, longchamp outlet, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, louis vuitton, nike air max, michael kors outlet online, coach outlet store online, oakley sunglasses, coach outlet, christian louboutin outlet, tory burch outlet, coach outlet, longchamp outlet online, michael kors outlet online, chanel handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet online, ray ban outlet, prada handbags, prada outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, michael kors outlet store, nike shoes, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, gucci handbags, louis vuitton handbags, red bottom shoes, kate spade handbags

10/25/2014 2:10 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

lacoste pas cher, ray ban pas cher, true religion outlet, vans pas cher, nike free pas cher, nike air max, nike roshe, air max, tn pas cher, barbour, chaussure louboutin, converse pas cher, michael kors uk, mulberry, hollister, lululemon, ray ban uk, new balance pas cher, true religion, hollister, louis vuitton pas cher, louis vuitton uk, sac louis vuitton, nike air force, longchamp pas cher, nike free, north face, north face pas cher, air jordan, nike roshe run, timberland, louis vuitton, nike trainers, longchamp, true religion outlet, scarpe hogan, sac vanessa bruno, ralph lauren, air max pas cher, oakley pas cher, nike air max, burberry pas cher, hermes pas cher, sac michael kors, nike blazer pas cher, nike huarache, michael kors canada, abercrombie and fitch, ralph lauren pas cher, guess pas cher

10/25/2014 2:11 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

vans outlet, soccer shoes, beats headphones, marc jacobs outlet, mont blanc pens, babyliss pro, north face jackets, canada goose outlet, reebok shoes, canada goose uk, wedding dresses, uggs outlet, instyler ionic styler, chi flat iron, mcm handbags, herve leger, moncler, longchamp, insanity workout, uggs on sale, bottega veneta, canada goose pas cher, ugg soldes, abercrombie and fitch, ghd, hollister, rolex watches, ferragamo shoes, canada goose outlet, soccer jerseys, north face outlet, ugg, roshe run, nfl jerseys, valentino shoes, moncler outlet, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose outlet, ugg boots, mac cosmetics, jimmy choo shoes, lululemon outlet, birkin bag, asics shoes, canada goose, p90x workout, celine handbags, ugg outlet, new balance outlet, moncler

10/25/2014 2:12 AM  
Blogger John said...

retro jordans
ugg boots
abercrombie & fitch
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors outlet clearance
michael kors outlet
uggs outlet
polo ralph lauren
christian louboutin outlet
pandora jewelry
air jordan retro
ugg outlet
beats by dre
uggs clearance sale outlet
coach outlet
giuseppe zanotti sneakers
uggs on sale
the north face
canada goose outlet
mulberry handbags
vans shoes
ray ban sunglasses outlet
louis vuitton outlet
ugg boots
michael kors outlet
toms shoes
louis vuitton bags
louis vuitton backpack
louis vuitton
ugg boots
jordan retro
lebron james shoes
hollister kids
christian louboutin outlet
chanel bags
nike roshe run
air max 90
coach outlet store online
louis vuitton outlet stores
20151217yuanyuan

12/17/2015 2:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home