Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Kelly or Birkin?

The Washington Post has an interesting article about the differences between the type of people who carry a Kelly bag and the type of people who carry a Birkin bag (both purses made by Hermes, for the uninitiated).

Which bag I would buy if I had $10,000 to spend on a purse is a question I have thought of before (yes, really, I have considered it). On the one hand, I like the structure of the Kelly (the Kelly is on the left, the Birkin on the right). The Kelly has a rigid look, which I find very appealing in a purse. However, I like the top of the Birkin better--with the Kelly the top seems a little too small, almost like it is being swallowed by the rest of the bag. Then again, I do prefer the strap on the Kelly--smaller and more subtle. The strap on the Birkin looks like it might really be two of Mr. Tickle's arms.




Taking all of that into account, I think I would go with the Birkin, just because the proportions are more pleasing to my eye. Although I would really have to make sure that the strap didn't bother me too much. And as for color? Most probably red. After all, red is obviously this Fraggle's favorite color. Plus, red is almost a neutral and can go with most clothing, but it also stands out. And if I am going to drop ten grand on a purse, I want to make sure that purse is noticed.

The two real problems with both purses (in addition to the price) are the size (I just don't like large bags) and the leather (I'm really trying to cut down on buying leather products--I feel a bit hypocritical not eating animals but still wearing them). But I think I might be able to make an exception for one of these purses. Just in case anyone is wondering what to get me for my birthday next month.