Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Friday, June 09, 2006

Would you buy a diet book written by this man?

Can someone please explain to me the appeal of Dr. Phil? Although his advice is sometimes good, it is also simplistic and incredibly obvious. Okay, I get it, some people aren't that bright and apparently need someone to tell them that they need to set limits for their seven year olds and that it is controlling to listen in on your wife's phone calls. But why would anyone stand for his sanctimonious attitude? Doesn't anyone find this off-putting?

And then there is the inexplicable success of his weight loss book. Now granted, I haven't read the book, so perhaps it has some really great tips and really works (although if I had to guess, based on the type of advice he gives on his show, I would imagine the tips would be as original as "eat smaller portions, exercise more"). But there is a reason I haven't read the book. Dr. Phil is not thin!!!!! Why would anyone want to follow his weight-loss advice? When you take your shirt off at the beach, do you want your torso to look like Dr. Phil's?

Now it appears Dr. Phil has yet another primetime special coming up. According to the article, Dr. Phil's primetime special popularity is waning. I'm not surprised--after all, I, Amazing Race lover that I am, could not sit through his last primetime special featuring Jonathan and Victoria. I wonder when the rest of America is going to catch on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sally-Anne said...

I agree. He's so incredibly condescending. He is hard to take. And I LIKE Texas accents. :)

6/12/2006 12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home