Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Monday, June 05, 2006

NBA Finals

This year's playoffs got me more excited about the NBA than I have been in years. The number of exciting games, great young players, and compelling stories have certainly made me look forward to the finals.

A few thoughts on why I think the Mavs will win (with the caveat that I barely watch regular season basketball anymore and I would not suggest any wagering based upon these thoughts--although I am going to Vegas on Friday):

1. The West is simply the dominating conference, and the Mavs had to beat the Spurs and Suns, much more difficult competition than the Heat faced. I know the Pistons had the best regular season record, but since the middle of the season, they have been flat.

2. Dirk. He is a man on a mission. His performance in game four was Jordan-esque. (Of course, Jordan would do it night after night, but still.) He is playing on another level.

3. The Hoff. This, for me, is the kicker. You figure that whatever else he was planning to do--travel to New Zealand, get married, film a pilot--he will be at the games in Dallas. This is his best chance for exposure in years. And I am delighted.

So, I think the Mavs will win in 6. I certainly think the Heat can win--any team with Shaq, Wade, and Riles (and one on which Shaq has given everyone godfather nicknames) is going to be tough. Take it to the bank. And put it in something highly liquid that is easy to withdraw.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home