Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Dubrovnik

That link to Johnny Apple in my last post reminded me that, shortly after I visited Croatia in September 2004, he wrote an article about the excellent food there along the Dalmation Coast. (Apparently, in his retirement, he just travels around the world and writes about food.)

Anyway, this whole post is an excuse for me to link this picture of Dubrovnik from the article:

Isn't that gorgeous?

You can't see it in this picture, but one day I was walking along the city walls and there was a narrow doorway cut into the wall with a cardboard sign saying "Drinks." The doorway led out onto the sea cliffs -- I think just to the right of this picture -- where they had set up a little bar and a few tables selling cokes and beers, and playing American music from the 50s like Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin. I sat there and watched the sun set over the Adriatic. It was one of those moments that you wish there was a camera that could capture the look, the sound, and the feel of a place.

2 Comments:

Blogger Red Fraggle said...

That is beatiful. The Adriatic is the prettiest body of water I have ever seen (I have always seen it from Greece, not Croatia, but still). Now I want to travel!

6/03/2006 7:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

6/11/2006 6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home