Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Worst Idol Ever?

I am just so bored by this year's American Idol. As I said in a comment a few weeks ago, there are just no real standouts in this crop. And, despite Simon trying to push Katharine as a favorite, claiming she has had "a moment" here and there, no performance this entire season has really struck me as a "moment" at all. I remember Fantasia singing "Summertime," Bo singing a capella, Carrie singing "Alone" and Kelly singing "It's Raining Men." The closest anyone has come this season, I think, was Chris' "I Walk the Line," but that was overshadowed by the Live controversy afterward.

The contestants in this Idol leave me kind of cold. I thought that Paris had the potential to have a defining moment, but it just never happened. As for last night, I thought that Elliott was treated unfairly by the judges. He finally got some personality in the last two songs, and his voice sounded quite good (on the last song he hit one high note badly, but that was it). But it seems the judges/producers want a Taylor/Katharine final, so that is what they are pushing. It reminds me of season two, when they pushed Ruben and Clay despite the fact that Kimberly Locke had improved so much in the last few weeks of the competition that she should have probably made the finals.

In all, I thought everyone did fine, but nothing really excited me, not even Katharine's "Over the Rainbow." I think Taylor is going to win the whole thing. And that makes me sad. Oh well.

Labels: ,