Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

"Business" People Shouldn't Write Songs

Watching "The Apprentice" last night was so very embarassing. I know no one other than Isaac watches this show, and since he is currently home with Mrs. Isaac and Baby Isaac I won't bore anyone with details about the challenge or the elimination.

It's the reward for the challenge that was so embarassing. I guess Burt Bacharach doesn't have much to do nowadays, because he agreed to write a song with the winning team as their reward. At least when Burt guested on American Idol a few seasons ago it made sense. Regardless, that was the reward. Burt had already written the music for the song, but it needed words. Which is where the Apprentice contestants came in.

Why? Why? Why? The lyrics they came up with were just trite and cliched. Of course. And yet the contestants are so earnest, sitting around the piano and singing (very) off-key. I wish I had written the lyrics down so I could share them with everyone but...well, maybe it's better that I didn't. Did the contestants think they had done a good job? Were they proud of themselves? All I know is that I was literally cringing throughout the entire spectacle, hoping it would end more quickly than it did.

2 Comments:

Blogger Isaac, your bartender said...

With Baby Isaac deciding he wanted to eat from 8:30 pm until 2:30 am, I managed to watch last night's installment of Trump! The Television Show while giving the little guy his bottle. As dumb as the task was--the Hair Cuttery, please; why didn't they just use flowbees--as Red Fraggle points out the reward was just painful. All I could think of is that Burt has gone from singing in Austin Powers to this. Rain drops really are falling on his head. This coming after last week's fantastic reward--lessons and a round with Vijay Singh. Why do I keep watching this dreck?

5/02/2006 3:00 PM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

I think this might be my last season with The Apprentice. Of course, NBC might make that decision for me. And I have so much trouble kicking a show out of my life, I will probably end up coming back for the next installment. Because I'm weak.

As for the Hair Cuttery: I loved Charmaign's [I cannot spell her name] excuse as to why got her hair styled instead of promoting her product--she needed to know what the product was like so she could sell it. Um...it's a cheap haircut. What else is there to know? And note that she didn't actually get her hair CUT. Just blown dry.

5/02/2006 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home