Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Monday, May 01, 2006

Save Darfur

So, I attended the Save Darfur rally in Washington, DC this past weekend. It was very moving to be one of the thousands of people hoping to get the attention of this administration and the world to stop the genocide in the Sudan. Though there certainly were not enough people there -- they are reporting 10-20 thousand, but I'd hoped for more. Every few minutes I had an overwhelming sense of sadness and angst that this country has been sitting idylly by for the past three years. Oy, it's just awful.

On a brighter note, the speakers were inspiring and I hope Bush and Co. were listening. To name a few, Rev. Al Sharpton was exciting as always, and Sen. Obama was also quite poignant.

To bring this post somewhat back to pop-culture land, of course there was George Clooney, just back from a trip to the Sudan with his journalist father. Not that I needed another reason to love Mr. Clooney, but I just find it incredible that he is putting his name to this cause. If his presence at the rally caused even one more person to attend (which I'm positive it did), then god bless him. Also, his recent appearance on Oprah is sure to get the Darfur region more attention than it has received over the past three years. If anyone can motivate a nation, it's Oprah.

1 Comments:

Blogger Red Fraggle said...

This is embarassing, but although I generally knew about Darfur, I really didn't understand the extent of what these children have to go through until I watched Oprah last week. The scene of where some of these children sleep--literally piled on top of each other in a tiny room--was so disturbing.

I can't believe I had to watch Oprah to be see what these kids are going through. I am sure that the segment reached a lot of people who had no idea of the situation in the Sudan before.

5/01/2006 1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home