Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

My Idol Boyfriend

Yes, I too was crying when my Idol boyfriend, Elliot Yamin, performed last night. OK, so I wasn't exactly crying, but damn he was amazing! I thought his performance was as perfect as Idol performances go, and there's something so genuinely sweet about him and his singing that I couldn't stop voting for contestant number two. Paula's crying was a little crazy, but hey she's Paula Abdul and she is crazy. (In fact, she was acting Paula-crazy all night. I seriously wonder what her deal is.)

As for my if-I-can't-have-Elliott Idol boyfriend, Chris Daughtry, I thought he was great last night too. Not as great, but I enjoyed his version of Bryan Adams' Have You Ever Loved A Woman (or whatever it's called). And I believe he was at least trying to smile while singing, which he at least deserves some credit for.

As for the rest, I thought Katharine also was pretty great, and I'm not sure why the judges were SO harsh. They seemed disproportionately harsh to me, actually. Her dress was, well, wow. It might have been a little too much wow, but wow. Perhaps the judges' negativety will actually get her more votes, we'll see. I'm not saying her performance was amazing, but I actually thought she sang the song very very well.

Paris I thought was pretty good, but I wasn't blown away. (As I typed that sentence I realize I am starting to sound like the judges. Eek. Sorry.) And Taylor and Kellie were plain bad. And I'm a huge Taylor fan, so this was a major disappointment. Kellie, I never expect much with her, so . . .

In total, Kellie was by far the worst and so she should be going home tonight. But I have a feeling it won't be her. And that will piss me off. But as long as Elliott is around for another week, I'm content.

Team Elliot!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I concur 100%....Elliot was amazing! Kelly Pickler must go tonight

4/26/2006 4:05 PM  
Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

Well, it wasn't the blood bath I was anticipating, mostly because David Foster was awesomely catty.

The singing, though, was another story. First, the bad: Kat wasn't horrible, just boring. Ditto for Paris; she's a great singer, but this was very low energy. I was really surprised by Taylor, because I thought the song was perfect for his voice and his whole vibe. Kellie was awful. Even so, I was surprised at the judge's reactions -- it's like they all saw the light at once and realized she's not that good of a singer, and her dumb blonde act is sort of tiresome.

That leaves two good, but flawed, performances:

Elliot has a great voice, but really no charisma. This isn't just a matter of sex appeal (although that's part of it), but maybe nerves? He just doesn't project confidence.

Chris -- what can I say, he just rubs me the wrong way. Wilder and I were discussing this off-line and I think that for me it just comes down to his taste. I admit that I'm a total indie rock snob, and I think I hold Chris to a higher standard because he purports to be a "rocker." But his taste in music is just atrocious. First, there was the Nickelback and the Creed. Then there was the not being sure that Stevie Wonder and Johnny Cash were good enough for him. And now Bryan Adams "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman" -- like the worst song ever written? And he hasn't chosen the song ironically; no, he thinks it's lyrically and musically, a great song, or whatever? I think that choosing horrible songs is one thing if all you've ever claimed to be is someone with a great voice, but that's not who Chris has claimed to be. Ultimately, there's not there there.

4/26/2006 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home