Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Hugh Grant on Today


Ok, I know that I've previously said that I hate the Today Show and never watch it, but that was a bit of hyperbole, because I do generally check it in the mornings and if someone really the bee's knees like Hugh Grant is going to be on I may, once in awhile, just pause the Tivo on NBC while I'm in the shower and fast forward through all the blather before I leave for work until Hugh's (growing rather craggy these days) visage appears next to that smug Katie. Anyway . . . this was one of those mornings and Hugh Grant, on obviously no sleep (he said he was up all night filming a movie with Drew Barrymore), still somehow managed to be exactly what I want in a movie star: charming, witty, intelligent, and not sucking up in any way to Katie.

I have such incredibly high hopes for this new movie of his, American Dreamz. It's got a good cast (in addition to Hugh playing a Simon Cowell-esque host of a pop idol reality show, Dennis Quaid is playing a George Bush-esque president, and Mandy Moore is the pop queen contestant); and, best of all, reunites the director and star of one of my favorite movies of all time: About a Boy. Thank You for Smoking has already primed my palate for another good hollywood satire, so fingers crossed American Dreamz is as good. (Not that the NY Times enjoyed Thank You for Smoking as much as I did, but . . . their standards are quite a bit higher than mine.)

Labels: