Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Team Elliot Yamin

OK. Usually I don't watch the Idol results show. I fast-forward to the last five minutes to find out who gets kicked off. But for some reason I watched the whole hour of this week's results. And enjoyed it. A lot.

First, I loved some of the family clips. It was nice to get more insight into the regular lives these contestants lived before auditioning for Idol. Some of the stories were more touching than others. I couldn't help but tear up seeing Kellie Pickler's grandfather, and how cute was it that Kat McPhee's dad cries everytime she performs, and Bucky's family just seemed so nice, and oh my god, Elliot has diabetes and allergies and oh yeah is tone deaf in one year. Tears rolling down my face at this point.

But what turned out to be the best part of the show was listening to Elliott, in the bottom three again, perform again. After seeming genuinely shocked that Ryan asked him to sing again ("What exactly do you want me to sing?), he gave one of the best Idol performances I've ever seen. His rendition of "Somebody to Love" I thought was amazing. Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. I watched it three times and each time it gave me chills and I couldn't get over how pitch perfect it was.

I haven't voted all season, but now I have a new clear favorite and I'll be dialing his number every week until the end.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

Aww. I was sort of sad to see Bucky go. He seemed nice, and it was hilarious how no one could ever understand what he was saying. I was sort of wondering what his parents would be like, but they both seemed normal.

4/13/2006 10:38 AM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

I watched Tuesday's episode last night. I love Queen and I didn't love most of what the contestants did.

I thought Elliot was a good example of what I didn't like--he chose a song that is all about the personality of the singer (this makes the song even more difficult to sing, since Freddie Mercury had no shortage of personality). Elliot just doesn't have personality, which has been apparent throughout this competition, but it was just so glaring when he tried to sing "Somebody to Love."

I was incredibly disappointed with Katharine as well. When I heard she was going to sing "Who Wants to Live Forever" I thought she was going to do an amazing job and this would be her big moment. I was so wrong. Paula compared her to Barbra and Celine, but I thought all her performance did was underscore how NOT like those singers she is. She couldn't hit the high notes. In fact, I thought to myself that Kelly Clarkson would have done a MUCH better job with that song. And if she can't sing as well as Kelly (and she can't) then she shouldn't win the competition--she is too much like Kelly to win while being worse than her.

I thought Paris was decent, although she hasn't blown me away the way she did in the early rounds, and I thought she could have this week. I thought Simon's critique of Chris was right--the song isn't that great.

Taylor was okay (I still hate him) and Kellie was eh. Ace and Bucky both needed to go, so I was happy to see them in the bottom two, although Ace was definitely the worst and should have gone first.

4/13/2006 12:11 PM  
Blogger Laura Ingalls Wilder said...

But did you watch Elliot's repeat performance of "Somebody to Love" last night? It was much better than Tuesday nights, and well, you already know how I feel about it.

4/13/2006 12:29 PM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

Actually, I haven't watched performance number two, although I have it on DVR so I can watch tonight. The thing is that Queen is just a very tongue-in-cheek band, and I don't think that translates with most Idol contestants. And I can't imagine that Elliot managed to infuse cheekiness into his rendition last night. And without personality, I think that the song really loses something, not matter how good the voice sounds on it.

4/13/2006 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home