Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Monday, April 03, 2006

April Fools!

I have a question--how far is too far to go with an April Fool's Day joke?

Yesterday my boyfriend's sister decided to play an April Fool's Day joke on her boyfriend. The joke involved allowing him to worry about her for about 60 seconds because of the underlying lie involved.

When he was told it was a joke he got very mad, and the next day was still upset, saying he didn't see what about the underlying lie wasso funny.

Of course, we felt that the underlying lie didn't matter--it only resulted in a minute of worry, and all bets are off with April Fool's (within reason, of course, I wouldn't spread rumors of someone's death or anything).

So, is an April Fool's Day joke that involves worrying someone for a minute off-limits?

5 Comments:

Blogger Isaac, your bartender said...

I agree with LH. You can't pretend someone is dead/dying. Ever. Just not funny. I would say the same about seriously ill/hospitalized. Now a fake pregnancy . . . .

4/03/2006 11:04 AM  
Blogger zuzula said...

isn't April Fools Day more about practical jokes and really stupid stuff? death/accidents etc, not funny. being given a sweet wrapper that turns out to be empty... well, still not funny but more the kind of thing you expect!

4/03/2006 11:11 AM  
Blogger Sally-Anne said...

I abhor pranks and practical jokes, so I definitely come down against her on this one. I stopped speaking to Rachel (yes, that Rachel) for about a year in college because she played an objectively harmless joke on me. I told The Dude in advance that I don't do April Fool's jokes and I don't tolerate them being done to me. (The only one done to me was by the flight attendant on my plane that morning who told us we were going to Boston instead of New York. That one was actually kind of funny.)

4/03/2006 2:22 PM  
Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

I'm not big on practical jokes either, and I don't like being lied to.

That being said, staying angry for a whole day seems excessive.

4/03/2006 2:56 PM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

Okay, so I thought everyone would agree with me, but no one did. Which I guess means I was wrong. :( Now I kind of feel bad.

Although I agree with Bailey, a whole day of being upset is a bit much.

4/04/2006 10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home