Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Survival of the Richest

Every once in awhile I venture beyond the Now Playing List on my Tivo and discover something surprising. Today it's Survival of the Richest, the most horrifying reality TV show since Filthy Rich Cattle Drive, and with a similar conceit. The host: Hal Sparks, of every I Love [fill in the blank] on VH1. The cast: miscellaneous "rich kids" (including a daughter of the Reverend Moon!) and miscellaneous "poor kids", picked to live in a mansion and have their lives taped while they . . . I'm not entirely sure because I haven't finished watching the first episode. I was too excited/appalled/shocked that I hadn't heard of this before it started airing and had to post immediately. I think the point is for teams composed of one rich kid and one poor kid to compete for a cash prize. What, if anything, is motivating the wealthy horrors who've agreed to be on this show is not immediately clear. One of the hilarious/appalling features of this show is that whenever they show an interview clip of one of the contestants they caption it with the person's first name, and, for the wealthy kids, family net worth, and, for the poor kids, debt. I need every junkette to do their best to watch one episode of this train wreck because I must talk about it!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

I haven't seen it, but there was a story about it in the Post on Friday.

4/02/2006 7:52 PM  
Blogger Laura Ingalls Wilder said...

Did anyone see Notorious? I'm dying to hear about it.

4/03/2006 4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home