Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Real Housewives

I stopped watching Desperate Housewives about half-way through the first season, I just started to find it boring, but The Real Housewives of Orange County on the other hand, is very entertaining. Have any of the other Junkettes watched? It's Laguna Beach for a slightly more mature (ahem) demographic. And I mean slightly more mature. The show centers on a series of "housewives," defined loosely, living (mostly) in a gated community in Orange County. The "housewives" include a real estate saleswoman, an insurance mogul, a divorcee who's been banished from the gated paradise, and a very young fiancee who doesn't look like she's going to make it to wife status. In a show like this, casting is everything, and I think they've got a real winner on their hands. The women are charismatic enough to be entertaining, ridiculous enough to make the audience feel superior, diverse enough so that you can tell them apart, and every once in awhile they do have touches of self-awareness that make them slightly more than caricatures. I recommend.

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura Ingalls Wilder said...

I Tivo'd but haven't watched yet. Can't wait!

3/23/2006 8:35 AM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

I forgot to DVR. I'm guessing I haven't missed too much? :)

3/23/2006 5:01 PM  
Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

Knowing Bravo, I'm sure you can catch in another time.

3/23/2006 5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home