Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

American Idol Part III

I'm violating a Junkette rule and posting on an already-posted-about-twice subject. (Query whether there are too many hyphens there.) But it's necessary. I think last night's American Idol show was one of the best in Idol history. Michael Slezak of Entertainment Weekly agrees in today's post-show column. I'm just going to comment on last night's 7 show-stoppers:

Mandisa: OMG. She was plain amazing. I got chills. Really, chills. And she looked gorgeous.

Chris: I loved the twist he put on Johnny Black's Walk The Line. Granted he made it sound like every other song he's ever sang, but it was still brilliant. I would definitely buy his version of that song if it were for sale.

Paris: Again, I got chills. I thought she was perfect. She again reminded me of what I loved about Fantasia, but I think Paris might even be better. Wow.

Katharine: Again, I got chills. Yes, that's three sets of chills in one night! I don't know what else to say except that I think I have a girl crush on her.

Taylor: It wasn't my favorite performance of his, but still good enough that I called my dad as soon as he finished, yelling into the phone: "Isn't the grey-haired guy sooooo good??"

Elliott: I'm really rooting for him. I love his voice, and he has soul. I should throw this out there, though: I might secretly be rooting for him because he is Jewish and who would have thought there could possibly be a Jewish American Idol? Not me! Has a Jew even made it as far as Hollywood week before?

Kellie: The song was perfect, she sounded great, and I actually rewinded my DVR and watched her performance a second time to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

As for tonight's results show, I have a feeling Lisa will be gone. Though it probably should be Bucky based entirely on last night's performance. Kevin wasn't as painful as usual, but c'mon, what the hell is he doing in this competition? Seriously kids.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

I have to call foul on Chris. Live did a version of "I Walk the Line" that sounds very similar to the one we heard last night.

He really lost me last week with his attitude toward Stevie Wonder.

3/22/2006 2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Elliot Yamin was amazing....my favorite!

3/22/2006 3:07 PM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

I KNEW IT!!!! I just KNEW that Chris's version of "I Walk the Line" must have been done by someone else before. Just like "Higher Ground" last week! Why do the judges continue to praise this? Why doesn't someone point out that he is just doing covers of covers of great songs?! ARGH!

3/22/2006 3:24 PM  
Blogger Laura Ingalls Wilder said...

I guess I don't really care that he is doing covers of covers of covers. I think he sounds awesome. Is it just the fact that he is getting credit for being original when he perhaps isn't that bothers you and Bailey?

3/22/2006 3:38 PM  
Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

That's what bothered me this week.

What bothered me last week was. (1) He seemed to have this attitude that he should not be expected to do a Stevie Wonder song, when Stevie Wonder is awesome. (2) He didn't know that Higher Ground was a Stevie Wonder song. Both of these sort of tie into the same point, which is that he is supposed to be some huge rocker, when he doesn't seem to know very much about rock music made before 1995. And (3) it was a bad cover of the Chili Peppers' cover of the Higher Ground, totally lacking the element of funk that made it so good.

3/22/2006 3:44 PM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

I agree with Bailey. But more than anything, it just really annoys me that the judges praise his originality when he isn't original! In fact, he is one of the LEAST original, basically copying the Chili Peppers note for note two weeks ago.

I just don't get it.

3/22/2006 4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to be honest who cares that Chris was not original in his version of songs as the judges keep claiming he is. all that really matters in american idol is who has the best voice - and who will ultimatly be loved by fans enough to have their cd sell. i think chris is amazing and i would totally buy his cd as it reminds me of the music that i listen to - and what is so popular on todays market. yea he is doing "covers of covers" but people have to do extensive research to find that infact it wasn't original; doesn't that make it original in itself where most people (let alone the judges) find it different and unique. it clearly was not the same version of what made the song popular. it is better then most contestants who just sing the song as it was produced or made famous anyways - go chris. he will sell. ps. i loveeee this blog.

3/22/2006 5:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

201510.16dongdong
Cheap Michael Kors Handbags Outlet
ugg boots
Jordan 8 Phoenix Suns
cheap uggs
uggs outlet
tory burch sale
fitflops sale clearance
coach factory outlet
Toms Outlet Store Online
celine bags
Michael Kors Outlet Sale Handbags Discount
ugg outlet
authentic louis vuitton handbags
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton handbags
michael kors outlet
Oakley Polarized Sunglasses Cheap Outlet Store
Jordan Concords Low And High
coach outlet
michael kors uk
Authentic Louis Vuitton Bags Discount
Abercrombie and Fitch USA Outlet Store
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet
Montblanc Pen Refills Outlet
Outlet Michael Kors Handbags
Nike Kobe Bryant Basketball Shoes
uggs clearance
cheap ugg boots
Christian Louboutin Outlet Sale Cheap Online
Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts Clearance

10/15/2015 11:30 PM  
Anonymous 5 Obat Herbal Pelancar Penyumbatan Pembuluh Darah Di Otak said...

thanks, his article is very helpful

Obat Untuk Penyakit Candidiasis
Obat Herbal Fibroid Rahim
Obat Varises Esofagus
Faktor Penyebab Parkinson
Obat Herbal Epiglotitis

3/02/2019 1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home