Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Don't forget the hats!

I know I haven't blogged about this season of Project Runway yet. It's unfortunate I haven't, because there are a lot of things to say. Like how much Suede and his third-person references annoy me, and how Blaine's whole "girl-licious," "diva-licious," and "everything-else-licious" is not only annoying, but a sad and transparent attempt to create a Christian Siriano-esque buzz phrase, and how Leanne's skirt from last week should have been the clear winner, and I'm still disappointed it wasn't.

I kept meaning to blog about this season, and just didn't get around to it. But when I saw that the designers would be creating outfits worthy of an Olympic Games Opening Ceremony, I knew I had to pull out the computer.

As you all probably know, I love the Olympic Games. In fact, when this blog started, it was during the Winter Olympics, and Bailey, Holt and I could not stop writing about them. I'm so excited that the Olympics start in two days (and yes, I will be watching, despite the fact that they are taking place in China), and I'm really sad that I won't be working with Holt and Bailey during as the Games take place--I'll miss our discussions about who our Olympic boyfriends are. Yes, I know. We're grown adult women. But honestly, life got pretty boring at work.

Anyway, back to Runway. I won't go through every outfit, because it's really not worth it for the most part. Most glaring was the fact that the large, large majority of the designers just did not seem to understand what the opening ceremony looks like. The most glaring omission: hats. Seriously, where were the hats?!?! Hats are always worn during the opening ceremonies. It's almost like a rule. By far the biggest disappointments was the almost complete lack of headwear.

Two contestant did include a hat, or at least a hat-like covering. First was Joey, who clearly should have been the winner. I'm not sure exactly what his model had on her head--a swimcap, perhaps?--but his outfit really looked like it belonged in the opening ceremony, and he was the only person who used the letters "USA" on his costume. I'm not a big fan of wearing your patriotism on your sleeve, but it's the Olympics! It's the opening ceremony! If ever there were a time to be decked out in red, white and blue with the letters USA on your clothes, this is it. (As a disclaimer, I am pretty much always against skorts. But I made an exception here because the outfit was just so right for the event, and nothing else came close.)

The other person who used a hat ended up in the bottom three. And although I agree that Jerrel's outfit was all over the place, I kind of loved it. Or, as Gobo said, "he shouldn't go home. Some countries actually wear stuff like that during the opening ceremonies." Sure, those are from countries that were probably former Soviet republics, but really, that's not the point. His outfit could be worn on opening day. And he included a hat. The importance of that cannot be underestimated.

As for the rest...there really isn't much I want to say. Daniel's choice not to add the cape to his outfit was clearly idiotic and, like so many of his fellow competitors, just showed a complete lack of understanding of the challenge (and since Kenley--who didn't manage to incorporate red in her outfit--was advising him, she should share some blame as well). Terri and Korta both made nice outfits and I had no issue with them being in the top three, but I definitely felt Joe should have won, with Terri coming in second. I just didn't think Korta's was as appropriate as either of the others' for the games.

Jennifer was eliminated, and rightfully so. I just didn't understand why she chose to make her outfit yellow, white and navy blue. It's the US Olympic team, for heaven's sake! Even Stella managed to incorporate the flag's colors in her design, even if it was mainly black. And speaking of Stella, how she remains in this competition is beyond me. I thought she deserved to be out in the first episode, when she chose flimsy black garbage bags as her "fabric" for the grocery store challenge. She is completely one-trick--all leather and fur and biker sensibilities--and it's completely boring.

Of course, I'm incredibly excited to see what the actual Olympic team will be wearing on Friday. I'm going to bet that there will be hats.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home