Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Frustrating

As a fan of a National League baseball team that is usually in the playoff hunt, the All-Star game has become an incredibly frustrating experience. Since Bud Selig announced the league that, beginning in 2003, the team that won the All-Star game would have World Series home field advantage, the National League has won exactly zero games. Up until today, that meant five games that actually mean something, and five loses. I had no hopes that this year would be any different, and after 15 innings of baseball, I was, unfortunately, correct. Six games, six losses.

What's most frustrating was that it seemed to me that if the NL could have just held on, eventually the AL was going to have to forfeit the game. (And no, I would not have been upset if that's the way the NL got the win.) Yet at the end of the game the announcers stated that the 2002 All-Star game had ended in a tie, and the 2008 almost did so as well. I just don't get it. Terry Francona did a bad job managing his bullpen and was stuck with just one remaining pitcher--someone who had started two days earlier and shouldn't have been pitching at all. Why would his poor decision-making result in a tied game, rather than a forfeit? Are the announcers simply incorrect (it wouldn't be the first time), or am I missing something (if so, I'm sure Isaac will set me straight)?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Isaac, your bartender said...

I'm still a little bleary eyed from last night, but my understanding is that MLB would not have allowed a tie or forfeit. And you criticize Francona, but Hurdle was out of pitchers as well. Lidge was it. So I think Kazmir and Lidge would have come back for the 16th; after that, it would have been insane. Hurdle told David Wright he was going to pitch. Of course this means that unless an agreement was reached, Kazmir and Lidge, if not pitching, would have to play the field. It would have been high comedy, but a ridiculous way to determine home field for the World Series. Of course, using the All Star Game in the first place is ridiculous.

I think that MLB needs to allow (1) players to return to the game once it hits the 11th or 12th inning and (2) that an extra pitcher is named who (a) can only come in after the 11th inning but (b) can pitch a mighty long time.

7/16/2008 10:18 AM  
Anonymous Obat Penghancur Kista Ovarium said...

Thank you for sharing an interesting and very useful article. And let me share an article about health here I believe this is useful. Thank you :)

Cara Mengobati Kencing Nanah (Gonore) dengan Daun Sirih
Obat Polip Telinga Alami Tanpa Operasi
Obat Nyeri Tumit Tradisional

4/08/2019 12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home