Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

The personalized holiday card


Back in my youth, I used to go door-to-door in my neighborhood, shilling holiday cards from a catalogue. I made brisk sales, as these cards could be personalized with a message and the senders' names. This was a rare option at the time, as the only other choice was to go to a store and buy boxes of cards, filling everything out by hand.

Now, of course, the internet has changed all that, allowing people to not only personalize their cards, but also upload photos to put on the cover of those cards. The result is that about half of the cards I receive have personal photos on the front of them.

For the most part, these are cute. Pictures of little kids? Cute! Pictures of furry kids? Cute! Pictures of two adults, somewhere between the ages of 25 and 50? Totally not cute.

I have a number of friends without pets or children who somehow think I want to see photos of them. I don't. If these photos were tongue-in-cheek, like those I see yearly from a family friend who puts herself in strange places (dressing up as Elvis; sticking her face in a Keira Knightly cut-out, between a cardboard Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp), I could get behind them. But two 30 year olds in front of a Christmas tree? A 45 year old smiling next to Santa? A couple of 28 year olds skiing? It's not cute, it's not witty, and I have absolutely no interest.

Am I a Scrooge? Or being totally reasonable?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Sally-Anne said...

Strangely, as I think I've told you, my dad feels the opposite -- he wants to see how his grown-up friends are looking, but doesn't care about their kids. Ha! But I'm with you, obviously.

12/22/2006 8:34 AM  
Blogger greebs said...

Wow...I feel completely the opposite. If someone sends me a holiday card with just their kid, I think it's absurd. It's a card from the family - why not see the FAMILY? Plus, when I have a mantel that is filled with photos of small children all around the same age, I have no idea who any of them are half of the time. That's...not so fun.

12/22/2006 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home