Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Hardy Perennials

Despite the pretty lights and shiny ornaments, December can be a bit grim what with the appalling lack of new episodes of many of our favorite series, leaving the Tivo now playing list sadly sparse. (Oh, how I miss you already Greys, Heroes, Veronica Mars, and yes, even Jericho!) But what keeps me going through these dark days, in addition eggnog and iced sugar cookies, is that stack of movies that, no matter how many times I've seen them, I can always sit through one more time. Now, these aren't the best movies of all time; they're comfort movies. Movies to which I know almost every line, and that are perfect for popping in when I have laundry to fold or presents to wrap (or an apartment to pack into boxes). My personal list is oddly heavy on British accents, pretty men, and Christmas scenes: About a Boy, Love Actually, While You Were Sleeping, Bridget Jones's Diary, Pride & Prejudice (the second DVD of the BBC miniseries and the recent Keira Knightley version), Ocean's 11, and, um, Die Hard. I have a friend whose list includes: Brown Sugar, Honey, Keeping the Faith, and The American President. And another friend would throw Speed and Dirty Dancing into the mix (and I would second these as well).

I'm curious, what are your perennials?

4 Comments:

Blogger Red Fraggle said...

The Goonies, South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut, Good Will Hunting and any of the Rocky movies make my cut. More often I will put in an episode of a television show (South Park or Party of Five).

12/12/2006 2:33 PM  
Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

I don't have any. I don't even own any movies on dvd.

12/12/2006 3:13 PM  
Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

Some that I can't live without: Firefly, Out of Sight, Office Space, Almost Famous and Annie Hall

12/12/2006 3:57 PM  
Blogger Kristen said...

Shawshank Redemption
Cinema Paradiso
Holiday Inn
Office Space
all the Christopher Guest movies
Adventures in Babysitting
Field of Dreams
Rudy

12/12/2006 5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home