Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Album of the Year

I know it's only December 4, but I think I'm ready to declare my album of the year: The Hold Steady, Boys and Girls in America. Lordy, I love this cd.

How to describe it? Well, it's good old fashioned indie rock. It's about people who drink, use a lot drugs, and hang around in bars. And they all live in Minneapolis! You can listen to my favorite song -- "First Night" -- here.

I wouldn't call all of the songs successful. In particular, "The Chillout Tent," a duet that I would have derisively called a "Summer Nights" for the hipster set, until I read in today's Pitchfork interview that it actually was inspired by "Summer Nights." Oy.

Missteps aside, I recommend it. I'm curious to hear what cds others have liked this year.

1 Comments:

Blogger MrMotivation said...

I have to think longer about who gets the top honors, but I agree that the voice, lyrics and paino playing are awsome and haunting. I liked their earlier stuff too. I shall ask Santa if I qualify for a gift this year (last year I had to be really bad to get enough coal to heat the house).

12/04/2006 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home