Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Step Up

As promised, last weekend I saw Step Up with my friends Spellbound and She Who Is Too Cool To Have A Blog Identity (Switcthabi for short). Sadly, of the three of us, I was the least enthused as we discovered while doing a post mortem over several pitchers of sangria. (Which I think was our biggest mistake, clearly the sangria should have come BEFORE the movie.) My less than completely enthusiastic response to the movie led to another debate. Judged on either the dancing or the acting/story, which modern (meaning last ten years or so) dance movies lead the pack?

On the table were, of course, Step Up, Center Stage, You Got Served, Honey, The Company, Save the Last Dance, and Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights. While each of us had our own favorites (Switcthabi really pushed for Step Up and Spellbound has a crazy fondness for Honey. My own favorite is Havana Nights. Sue us. We've never claimed to have perfect taste.) We eventually came to a concensus. For pure enjoyment of the dancing, we're saying pony up for Step Up. If you actually want decent acting and characterization the only one really on the radar is Save the Last Dance. Thoughts? Debates?

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

The only I've seen is Save the Last Dance. What's wrong with me?

8/15/2006 2:04 PM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

I haven't seen any. I really should rent Save the Last Dance, though. And as a Neve Campbell fan (I know) I want to watch The Company as well. Do I suck?

8/15/2006 2:37 PM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

I love A Chorus Line. Not in small part because it features Janet Jones, of American Anthem fame and, more recently, of I-married-the-most-famous-hockey-player-in-the-world-and-am-implicated-in-a-gambling-ring fame. She's great!

8/16/2006 6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home