Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Tuesday, May 05, 2009

American Idol: Top 4

I can't believe Slash is the celebrity mentor this week. I rarely watch the celebrity mentors, but I am obviously watching all of the clips with Slash. Unbelievable!

Adam Lambert. "Whole Lotta Love." If Adam ever did well in one week, this would be it (same for Alison). This should be interesting. Actually, it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. Sure, he sounded good, and I can't think of any other Idol contestant who could have pulled it off, but it was such a faithful rendition that it didn't really do much for me. The thing about Adam, is that he totally should have been on Rock Star. Can they bring that show back? Surely Slash needs a lead singer.

Alison Iraheta. "Crybaby." How cool is it for the singers that Slash plays guitar with them when they are practicing? At this point, I don't understand how there can be any question that Alison and Adam belong in the top two. Her performance wasn't super exciting, but I thought she did well.

Kris and Danny's duet. This is something new! I have about zero interest in a Kris and Danny duet, but I think that Alison and Adam together will be great. Kris and Danny didn't sound bad at all, and they harmonized well. (Were the backup singers helping?)

Kris Allen. "Come Together." Kris sounded good--he has a nice voice. But it wasn't at all exciting. Kris' best trait is that his voice would probably be very pleasing on the radio.

Danny Gokey. "Dream On." I love that Slash said it could go either way. Gobo said that he thinks Danny's vest tells us everything we need to know about how this song is going to. (And he is not a fan of the vest.) I would have loved Adam to have sung this song, but alas we are stuck with Danny, and it just isn't that good. He was absolutely awful on the high note, and the rest of the song was no good either--they seemed to be dropping octaves when they normally wouldn't, and it was just bad. Bad, bad, bad. Randy said this isn't Danny's genre, and Gobo asked what Danny's genre is. Answer: Michael McDonald and songs about dead lovers. What is Kara smoking? She told Danny to sing early Aerosmith, like "Crazy" and "Cryin'." Does she think that "Dream On" came after those songs?

Adam and Alison duet. It actually wasn't as good as I was hoping--they certainly didn't harmonize as prettily as Danny and Kris, but it's not like they are pretty singers. Nonetheless, it was entertaining, and I think Alison is surprisingly comfortable on stage for someone of her age.

And yet again, the show stopped short for me. Isn't Ryan in charge of making sure the show runs on time? Why can he not do his job properly?

Top two: Adam, Alison.
Bottom two: Kris, Danny.
Going home: Danny.

Labels: