Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

American Idol: Top 10

This week is Motown week, which should be a welcome change after country week. Since Wilder told me she likes reading these posts, I'll continue to write them. So let's jump in.

Matt Giraud. "Let's Get It On." Although I wasn't big on him last week, I generally do like Matt. I think he's talented and appealing. But I'm not sure anyone can really do justice to this song. But I think he sounded pretty good.

Kris Allen. "How Sweet It Is." What's up with the numbers on the shoulders of his shirt? Is he supposed to be a prisoner? And what's up with the triangular patch with the two swords on his left sleeve? It looks like some kind of military-Star Trek cross. I actually thought Kris sounded okay until the overblown last note, but I just don't find him as appealing or talented as Matt, and they're very similar. I think that's Kris' major downfall.

Scott McIntyre. "You Can't Hurry Love." I just can't get into this guy. I'm sick his ballads, so at least he tried to mix it up. But it just doesn't appeal. (I bet Wilder loves him.) His piano playing seemed good, though. And what is up with Paula's ring? It's like they Bedazzled a golf ball and stuck it on her finger.

Megan Joy (Corkrey). "For Once In My Life." Smokey said she is one of the most original contestants the show has ever had, but I just don't see it. I don't see what's special about her--she seems bland and mediocre to me. Honestly, can someone explain it to me? And I didn't like her version of this song at all--I thought she sounded terrible. At least the judges agreed with me, but they all--including Simon--went on about the "other" Megan, who is apparently a good singer. I really don't get it.

Anoop Desai. "Oh, Baby, Baby." Gobo asked if it could be any worse, but I didn't think it was terrible.

Michael Sarver, "Ain't Too Proud To Beg." Michael, aka The Bully. As I told Gobo, "yeah, the kid you're beating up on the playground "ain't too proud to beg." Gobo came back with "he also ain't too proud to beg for that second cheeseburger he ate today." He makes a good point--he looks a little beefier than usual. I thought it was awful--he slaughtered a great song--and I'm so sad that Alexis went home last week and he's still here.

Lil Rounds. "Heat Wave." I feel so sorry for Lil because everyone is now calling her "Little." I'm sure her name is short of Lillian or Lily or something. Unfortunately, even though I usually really enjoy her, I didn't think she sounded good on this song at all. She is off-key, straining, flat and screechy all at once. It's really unfortunate.

Adam Lambert. 'Tracks Of My Tears." Adam's hair! Is he trying to channel Moz? I hate liking Adam, I really do, because I feel like such a sell-out, but I think Adam is really good. Singing pretty much the whole song in falsetto seems like it would be difficult. It looks like the judges liked it as well, but why did Kara pull such a Paula? "One of the best performances of the night," is eight words, not six Kara. Gobo is wondering whether Randy is trying to be Caribbean island vacation with the beads.

Danny Gokey. "Get Ready." So let's see if he veers into Taylor Hicks/Michael McDonald territory. This song is just crying for Taylor McDonaldisms. I did think he was way better than Taylor would have ever been, but I didn't think it was great.

Allison Iraheta. "Papa Was A Rolling Stone." I think that Allison is really talented. And the fact that she is so young just makes her more impressive.

Best 3: Allison, Adam, Matt.

Worst 3: Michael Sarver, Megan Joy, Lil (which really makes me sad).

Going home: Really, a toss up between Michael and Megan, and either way it's not a loss, but I'm going to guess it's Michael.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura Ingalls Wilder said...

Love your posts! Keep them coming. I think Megan has a cool tone to her voice (see her audition) . . . I also hate to love Adam but he was awesome this week. Agree with you on everything else, except Anoop because I agreed with Gobo on that. Looking forward to tomorrow night!

3/30/2009 9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home