Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

American Idol: Top 11

There won't be any Gobo comments tonight. Why? Because he realized it was country week and decided he would rather not watch. I'm optimistic because Bailey sent me an e-mail earlier tonight with the subject line "Adam Lambert." The body of the e-mail: "what the fuck." I'm excited, so on to the episode.

Michael Sarver. Some Garth Brooks song that sounds like "Ain't Going Down 'Til the Sun Comes Up." Blech. He totally has the look and sound of country, but I really don't like it. The problem is, I don't like country music, so it's tough to know where the problem lies.

Allison Iraheta. Blame It On Your Heart." I like Allison--she has character, she's cute, and her voice is good.

Kris Allen. "To Make You Feel My Love." Before Kris sang, Lyle Lovett said that Kris really didn't copy the Garth Brooks version, but rather made it his own. But now I'm listening to him sing, and it sounds a lot like Brooks' version to me.

Lil Rounds. "Independence Day." I remember Carrie Underwood doing this twice, and I didn't like it either time. But I like Lil's version a lot. Her voice is really good--strong but never screechy or shouty.

Adam Lambert. "Ring of Fire." Oh wow. First off, I have been fast forwarding through a lot of this, and thought that the celebrity mentor was Lyle Lovett. But it's actually Randy Travis. When did that happen?! Back to Adam, I knew I was in for a special treat because of Bailey's e-mail. And...I don't even know what to say. I really, really want to hate this guy, with the hair and the eyeliner and everything that would imply he's totally gross and phony, but I can't help myself. I like him!

Scott MacIntyre. "Wild Angels." Blech. I am just not a fan of this guy. He's going to be one of those guys who does love ballads every week, except for the weeks that he does inspirational songs.

Alexis Grace. "Jolene." I didn't think it was her best vocal performance, but I find her very likable.

Danny Gokey. "Jesus Take the Wheel." I don't like this song, and I don't like Danny's performances that much either.

Anoop Desai. "Always on my Mind." I just didn't think that came close to the original and wasn't that good. And I'm totally blown away, because the judges completely disagree with me.

Megan Joy I Dropped My Last Name. "Walkin' After Midnight." Yuck. She seems like she's totally acting, and and she pronounces her vowels oddly--like she was putting an accent? I don't get how she made it to this point in the first place.

Matt Giraud. "So Small." I liked Matt a lot the past two weeks, but I thought this was just a bad song--too sappy.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura Ingalls Wilder said...

Just wanted to tell you how much I love your recaps! Keep them coming each week. I'm with Bailey on Adam Lamber - what the fuck?!

3/21/2009 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home