Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

But Why Can't He Be Funny?

Not to intentionally continue today's political theme (started by Bailey in her post below on Pinochet (and if I really wanted to bore you, I could explain why I mildly disagree with her position)), but I can't resist continuing somewhat with politics.

It seems that the creative genium behind Mallard Fillmore, the right wing's response to Doonesbury, seems to have a wee bit of a drinking problem. A few months ago, he was arrested for public intoxication, and now Edward Bruce Tinsley has been arrested for DUI. All I have to say is that whether or not you agree with Gary Trudeau's politics, Doonesbury is not only frequently quite funny but often extremely moving. Moreover, Trudeau goes after power--these days it certainly focuses on Bush, but he was brutal in satirizing Clinton in the 90s. There is a reason the Washington Post runs it in a location apart from the comics. And yet whenever I bother to read Mallard Fillmore, it is simply right wing pablum that is not funny. Right wingers can be funny, but this stuff is brutal. Maybe Tinsley needs to drink less . . . or a lot more.

Hat tip, Jason Zengerle at the Plank.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Tinsley needs to drink more. A lot more. Like, a month-long stupor more. Then maybe his strip will be canned and we'll get something reasonable in its place.

Meanwhile, I'm celebrating.

12/13/2006 8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home