Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Rock Star: Final Performances

I really wish I had started watching Rock Star: Supernova earlier. Oh well. I did watch last night, and I thought there were a definite top two and bottom two based on the performances.

At the top: Dilana and Toby. Dilana's "severe calf injury" appears to have miraculously healed in one week. Who knew? I think she should win--her voice is the coolest, she has real stage presence, and even if "Supersoul" isn't the best song out there, it's not the end of the world. It's not like Motley Crue was known for its sophisticated lyrics either. I liked, but didn't love, her version of "Roxanne." I get that she made it different, and thought she did a good job with it, but at some point it should have been pepped up a bit.

I really liked Toby on "Karma Police," probably because he didn't mess with what is a great song. Actually, I should say I liked him on the song until the end. I didn't like what he did with the "for a minute there, I lost myself..." part of the song--I felt like he didn't get it. He sang it loud, proud and anthem-like, when that aspect of the song (and really the entire song in general, but particularly that part) has to be quiet and melancholy. It just doesn't make sense to sing those lyrics another way.

Toby's bigger problem was one he really couldn't do much about--his original song. He sang it twice last week because he was given the encore, and then had to sing it again this week (everyone had to sing their original song again). I thought that was a disadvantage, because it now seems boring and repetitive, whereas had he only sung it once last week, it would have seemed familiar but fun this week. Of course, if Toby ever wants to market the single, this would be the best way to do it--I think most people watching would be able to remember his song far more easily than the other three.

And in the bottom two, we have Lukas and Magni. Lukas was wearing way, way, way too much eye make-up. It just looked silly. He sang Coldplay's "Fix You," and although I know Bailey is not a fan of Chris Martin and Company, I really didn't think Lukas had the voice or abilities to do the song justice. Like Toby at the end of the Radiohead song, I felt that Lukas changed the song for the sake of changing it, and in doing so lost what the song was about. He did a jumping-up-and-down, exuberant take on the middle of the song, and it just sounded wrong. Should one really be happily scream-singing about how they will fix you? I don't think so.

I did like that Lukas changed up his original tune--he was the only one who tried to do something different with his original song. I thought that was a tactic Toby should have employed, although I don't know that Toby's song, with all those "oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh"s would have worked differently. I liked the way the song sounded better the first time he sang it, but I do think he deserves a lot of credit for taking a chance really late in the game. I couldn't help but notice that his song is very repetitious, however--it seemed that every line was repeated, and sometimes repeated up to four times in a row ("You make my head spin, you make my head spin, why, why, why, why;" "I'm not perfect, I'm not perfect. I'm not perfect, I'm not perfect."). It was a bit much. In the end, I just don't think that Lukas' voice is strong enough to justify picking him over someone like Dilana.

And then there's Magni. I didn't love his Deep Purple tune, but I didn't dislike it either. I was just kind of indifferent. I think he had some problems with his original song--at one point he couldn't hit the high note ("As long as there are stars"--the "stars" sounded bad). So that was a problem. He definitely shouldn't be the winner.

My vote? Dilana. We will see!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Pop Culture Diva said...

I've been watching it since the beginning and Dilana should have won. At least she'll get Gilby to produce and co-write her album.

9/14/2006 3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home