Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The GOP Finds A Home

Today it was revealed that the 2008 Republican Convention is going to be in Minneapolis/St. Paul. (Book your rooms now.) A very strange choice, it seems to me. But then I remembered Calvin Griffith's quote in explaining why he moved the Washington Senators to Minnesota in 1961: "We came here because you've got good, hardworking white people here." Seems fitting. This makes me hope even more that the Democrats have their convention in New Orleans. I can't imagine that the Big Easy was Mr. Griffith's favorite city (and how bout dem saints!).

2 Comments:

Blogger Carolyn said...

I, for one, am one person from the Twin Cities who uttered an expletive when I saw the news. Political season is bad enough around here, now that we've been designated a Battle Ground State, but now this? Barf. Minneapolis and St. Paul have a wonderful tradition of liberal politics, so this new situation is terribly troubling to me. And anyway, traffic is bad enough around here, whenever the prez comes to town it's unbearable. IMHO.

9/28/2006 8:19 AM  
Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

I will have you know that according to the 2000 Census, Minnesota is only the 10th whitest state.

Distressingly, Minnesota has gotten more conservative in the past few years, and I think that this move is more about turning it Red than about avoiding black people.

9/28/2006 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home