Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Jazz

I don't listen to a lot of jazz, but a while ago I had our local NPR affiliate on in the background while I was cooking on a Sunday afternoon and they were airing the Playboy Jazz Festival. I wasn't really paying attention until a young, incredibly charismatic singer just started wailing a song about the vaguely pathetic angst of being "Twentysomething" and made me stop in my tracks. I immediately turned to the interent to find his website. Almost as immediately I downloaded the entire "Twentysomething" album from iTunes. Well, I finally got around to listening to it tonight to lighten the mood of an evening in the office, and it's definitely going to go into heavy iPod rotation. It has everything from the catchy original tune that first caught my attention, to quirky covers of standards like "I Get a Kick Out of You", to not so standard jazz covers like "Wind Cries Mary". I've actually liked every song on the album, and it's been awhile since I've been able to say that.

ETA: Fixed the link to Jamie Cullum's website!

1 Comments:

Blogger Red Fraggle said...

The link doesn't seem to work and you never mention the artist's name. Care to share? :)

9/22/2006 5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home