Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

How could I have missed this?

After reading Bailey's post of a few weeks ago, I finally decided to watch Rock Star: Supernova. And, as she assured me, it kicks so much ass! I can't believe I haven't watched this show until now. (Spoilers ahead.)

I only watched the results show, so I only got to see five of the six competitors perform. The thing that really stood out was that they all knew how to move around on stage. It was a stark contrast to American Idol.

Not to say that these performers are without fault. Far from it. The eliminated Ryan Starr was awkward on stage--all of his moves seemed very deliberate, as opposed to spur-of-the-moment rock and roll. At one point he climbed onto the speakers on stage, but it took him forever to do so. At another he told the audience to "sing it" but then he continued to sing the song, rather than giving the audience the opportunity. He also told the audience "I need you to jump." But he was singing the "Baba O'Rielly." The audience should have been jumping of their own accord--Ryan shouldn't have had to tell them to do so. He also seemed to lose the nuance of the song, just scream-singing it. (I also couldn't get past the fact that he had the same name as the female "rocker" from American Idol season one.)

Speaking of names, I can't get past the moniker "Storm Large." I mean...that's totally made up, right? And assuming it is, couldn't she have come up with something better? In addition to her name, I got off on the wrong foot with Storm because she kept saying she wanted to be in the bottom three because it would give her another opportunity to "rock out." I just didn't buy it. Nor did I love Storm's rendition of "Helter Skelter" when she did end up in the bottom three. As the song wore on I kept thinking to myself "is this almost over, or is there another verse and chorus to come?" I love "Helter Skelter" so I was kind of sad about that. But she does have the ability to sing, which certainly comes in handy in a singing competition.

I have heard that Dilana has been the front-runner throughout this competition, and I can see why. I didn't think that "Psycho Killer (qu'est-ce que c'est)" was the best choice for her--when she sang the "oh" part it sounded really melodic and sweet, which didn't fit with the raspy sound on the rest of the song. But it's obvious she can sing and she has stage presence.

I am officially addicted to this show--I'm sad there are only two episodes left. But Bailey told me that I can catch back episodes on You Tube. Yay!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Oh, dear. You started watching one show too late! This week's performance show (the one on Tuesday) was one of the best I've seen in two seasons -- every single one of them had a first-rate performance. But the elimination show the next night was full of duds.

It is addictive stuff, even if I don't care at all who wins. Supernova will be broken up before the end of the year anyway, since they are just a made-up band. I hope they use a real band like INXS again next year; there was much more to get invested in with that.

9/01/2006 1:05 PM  
Blogger Bailey Quarters said...

You should listen to me more.

9/01/2006 2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MESSAGE

2/13/2007 8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MESSAGE

2/15/2007 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey your website is rocks
Take a look at this cool emo video:
http://tinyurl.com/8b9p65

2/26/2010 3:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home