Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Pop Music Bringing the World Together, Part I

I went to REI last night to buy some stuff for my camping trip, and on the way home stopped for dinner at Pike Pizza, aka "El Pike," on Columbia Pike. Despite the name, there is no pizza to be had here, just Bolivian food.

Not knowing anything about Bolivian food, I ordered Asado en Olla which turned out to be steak served with rice, potatoes, and chunos (which are freeze-dried potatoes). It was quite good, but subsequent research reveals that saltenas are their specialty.

What does this have to do with pop culture, you ask? Well, the defining feature of this restaurant was the 3 TVs blaring videos of 70s-era American pop music, including such classics as "Rock with You," "Heaven Must Be Missing an Angel," "Gloria," by Laura Branigan, and "I Will Survive." The absolute best moment was when a video of Hall & Oates playing "Maneater" came on. I swear to you that a hush fell over the restaurant and everyone (including me!) started snapping their fingers or tapping their feet or swaying to the music. It was sort of heartwarming.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of Flashdance, I caught some of it on cable a few weeks ago and realized that the main guy in the movie is now Summer Roberts' dad on the OC. He clearly has not aged as well as Jennifer Beals.

7/12/2006 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home