Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

In happier sporting news

The Carolina Hurricanes won the Stanley Cup last night. It's too bad the hockey fan base has dropped so much in the U.S., and that the NHL didn't manage to do a better job of marketing this finals, because it was a great series. Had people tuned in, I think there would be a few more hockey fans today.

Despite Isaac's predictions, this was not a sweep. Rather, the series went the full seven games, essentially coming down to one goal between lifting the Cup and going home without. But Carolina scored on the empty net in the last few minutes, putting themselves two goals up and killing the very real possibility that Pisani or another Oiler would manage more late-game heroics.

The saddest part was seeing the dejected Oilers. I have the long-standing hatred for the Oilers of an Islanders fan who saw the Oilers dash her team's "Drive for Five" Stanley Cups in 1984. I hate that my first sports memory is a disappointing one. A harbringer of things to come. But I still felt for these Oilers. They made this a very close seven-game series, despite losing their starting goalie in game one, and they managed to come back from a three game to one defecit. The Oilers were a true Cinderella team: the first eighth-seed to make the Finals, and they almost won it all.

The best part? Seeing Rod Brind'amour (possibly the only non-bearded Hurricane) lift the Stanley Cup. A well-deserved cap to a solid hockey career.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Isaac, your bartender said...

I am happy to say that I was wrong. I enjoyed watching last night's game and although I was rooting for Edmonton (as the underdog), I wasn't very disappointed particularly as the Canes had a number of long time players who had never won Lord Stanley's Cup. The greatest trophy with the greatest tradition--the skating of the cup. I was in NJ for Game 7 in 2003 and saw the Devils skate the cup--one of my favorite sports memories. Congrats to the Hurricanes and the Oilers. And welcome back NHL. You were missed by at least a few people.

6/20/2006 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home