Pop Culture Junkette

Addicted to pop culture.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Television Delay

I just watched Wednesday's episode of American Idol, since I DVR everything and can never seem to view it when it airs. Is it wrong to post a review three days after everyone else watched? Perhaps, so I will keep it short.

Like Bailey, I have an unnatural love for Will Makar. I can't help myself. I love "I Want You Back" and although he is certainly no Michael Jackson, it is such a fun song that singing it made Will even more endearing. And Paula made her most intellegent comment ever, saying that he looks like Peter Brady. He does!

I liked Bobby Bennett! I know he is no longer with us, but I saw his whole song as totally tongue-in-cheek. Perhaps I gave him too much credit, but I would have liked to see him stick around, only because he entertained me.

I didn't think that Patrick Hall was that bad--I thought he should have been able to stay around at least a few more weeks. Oh well.

I don't have much to say about the rest of them. I don't really think any of the men are that great.

I hate David Radford's singing style, although I felt sorry for him because he is so young and looked like he was going to burst into tears.

Bucky Covington was like a very, very, very bad imitation of Bo Bice and needs to go immediately (I really liked Bo).

I HATE HATE HATE Sway. Thought the whole performance was awful and was shocked that everyone seemed to love him. Maybe I'm missing something.

Chris Daughtrey did not sound as good as Jon Bon Jovi. Whoever thought that American Idol would make me appreciate Bon Jovi's singing voice? He has a very Scott Weiland/Eddie Vedder sound, and I can see why the judges think he has a great recording voice (which I also read as "you have no charisma on stage, but you'll be great if we hide you").

Keven Covais. Oh my. When they showed the recap at the end, we just burst out laughing. He reminded me a little of Antony Federov from last season, but without the total cheese factor that made me look forward to an A Fed performance.

Gedeon McKinney was sooooooo cheesy wedding singer. The whole throwing his hands up, throwing his head back, etc., with the lyrics was just too much.

Elliot Yamin--I cannot improve upon Bailey's Amish comment. All he needs is a hat and he's good to go.

Ace Young has not been a favorite of mine throughout Hollywood, but he didn't sound bad. He is the type who should make it to the middle rounds--his voice and stage presence are fine, but nothing special. Because he is "cute" (per American Idol) he will probably make it further.

I really do not like Taylor Hicks. I hate watching him, I hate his hair, I hate his mannerisms, I hate his harmonica. His voice is okay, but I don't think it is that special. He has the Aiken factor (people like him because he looks funny) so he will probably stick around for a good while. Hopefully everyone else will get bored of him sooner rather than later.

Sooooo happy that Becky and Stevie were kicked off. I'm sure Becky will be singing "Black Velvet" or "Something to Talk About" at some karaoke bar tonight.

An apology to FOX regarding Skating with Celebrities. The episode that showed during the Olympics was actually a rerun of last week's episode. So not as stupid as I had thought.

Oops. Despite my promises at the beginning of this post, I failed to keep this short. I need to work on that.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura Ingalls Wilder said...

I really don't see how you can be a Taylor hater. I have a secret crush on him.

And I don't see how you can be a Bobby Bennett lover at the same time. Eek! Happy he'll no longer be doing painful Barry Manilow impersonations every week.

2/26/2006 1:26 PM  
Blogger Red Fraggle said...

Mind you, I don't think Bennett was good. But I loooooooved the cheese. Maybe I was giving him too much credit, but I thought he got how cheesy he was and was doing it on purpose. Tongue-in-cheek.

As for Taylor...he's just...ugh. I can't describe it. I don't think he is that good of a singer, and I think his whole gray hair/Joe Cocker/harmonica stuff is one big schtick. He seems like a phony. Of course, it isn't like American Idol is all about street cred, but this guy does not do it for me.

2/27/2006 9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home